Differentiate x^x - Get Help Here!

In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of the function y = (x^x)^x and different approaches are suggested, including using logs and the product rule. Eventually, the correct solution is provided, which is y'_x = {(x ^ x)} ^ x \left( 2 \ln (x ^ x) + x)}.
pavadrin
Hey,
Is it possible to differentiate x^x? I’ve tried with the use of logs, but it doesn’t seem to work…….any help would be kindly appreciated :smile:
Thanks,
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
you ahve to say what yiou ahve done first ie workings and the such like

[tex]f(x)=x^x=e^{xln(x)}[/tex]

when you differentiate e, it stays the same, but you multiply by the inner derrivative:

[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}=(ln(x)+1)e^{xln(x)}=(ln(x)+1)x^x[/tex]

Last edited:
First why is a question about the derivative in "Precalculus"? It sounds pretty "calculus" to me!

Logs is, of course, the way to go. If y= xx, then log y= x log x. Differentiate both sides:
[tex]\frac{d log y}{dx}= \frac{1}{y}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
of course. And
[tex]\frac{d(x log x)}{dx}= log x+ \frac{x}{x}= log x+ 1[/tex]

Here's an interesting point: to find the derivative of [itex]f(x)^{g(x)}[/itex] there are two obvious mistakes you could make:

1) Treat the exponent, g(x), as if it were a constant and write
[tex]\frac{f(x)^{g(x)}}{dx}= g(x)f(x)^{g(x)-1}\frac{df}{dx}[/tex]

2) Treat the base, f(x), as if it were a constant and write
[tex]log(f(x))f(x)^{g(x)}\frac{dg}{dx}[/tex]

Because those are mistakes, neither is, of course, correct. The correct derivative of [itex]f(x)^{g(x)}[/itex] is the sum of those!

he did say, he tried logs...

Just because he tried logs doesn't mean he did it right. HallsofIvy way is the correct way to do it. Log both sides then differentiate both.

yeah, you're right, we should have lead him to the solution and not just give it out like that...

anyway, doing it my way or differentiationg both sides is really the same thing... i didn't need to look at both sides because i just used the equation [tex]a^b=e^{bln(a)}[/tex]
so y is still y... so if i differentiate both sides i get:
[tex]dy=(ln(x)+1)e^{xln(x)}dx[/tex]

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd "borrow" this one:

I am trying to differentiate the function [tex]y=(x^x)^x[/tex]

Would this working be correct?

[tex]y = (x^x)^x = x^f^(^x^) [/tex]

[tex] \rightarrow ln(y) = f(x)ln(x) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{1}{y} = (f(x))(\frac{dln(x)}{dx}) + (ln(x))(\frac{df(x)}{dy})[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{f(x)}{x} + f'(x) lnx[/tex]

[tex]\rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = y((\frac{f(x)}{x}) + f'(x)ln(x))[/tex]

But since:

[tex] f(x) = x^x[/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = x^x(ln(x) + 1)
[/tex]

(I've spared the working for that since it's covered up there)

So does that make:

[tex] \frac {d}{dx} (x^x)^x = (x^x)^x ( \frac{x^x}{x} + (ln(x)+1)x^x)
[/tex]

??

Or and I missing something along the way? This is my first time using the product rule so I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly..

Thanks,

Lewis

Last edited:
power freak said:
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd "borrow" this one:

I am trying to differentiate the function [tex]y=(x^x)^x[/tex]

Would this working be correct?

[tex]y = (x^x)^x = x^f^(^x^) [/tex]
Nope, this line is wrong. Instead, it should read:
[tex]y = {(x ^ x)} ^ x = f(x) ^ x[/tex], where f(x) = xx. :)
Ok, let's take log of both sides:
[tex]\ln y = x \ln f(x)[/tex]
Differentiate both sides with respect to x, we have:
[tex]\frac{y'_x}{y} = \ln f(x) + x \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \Rightarrow y'_x = y \left( \ln f(x) + x \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \right) = {(x ^ x)} ^ x \left( \ln f(x) + x \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \right)[/tex], right?
And from the above posts, we have:
f'(x) = (xx)' = (xx) (ln(x) + 1). So plug that into the expression above, we have:
[tex]y'_x = {(x ^ x)} ^ x \left( \ln f(x) + x \frac{x ^ x (\ln (x) + 1)}{x ^ x} \right) = {(x ^ x)} ^ x \left( \ln (x ^ x) + x (\ln (x) + 1)} \right)[/tex]
[tex]= {(x ^ x)} ^ x \left( \ln (x ^ x) + \ln (x ^ x) + x)} \right) = {(x ^ x)} ^ x \left( 2 \ln (x ^ x) + x)}[/tex]
Ok. Can you get this? :)

Last edited:
Lewis, your way would be correct if you wanted to differentiate [itex]y=x^{(x^x)}[/itex]. But as you have it written now, [itex]y=(x^x)^x=x^{(x^2)}[/itex].

StatusX said:
Lewis, your way would be correct if you wanted to differentiate [itex]y=x^{(x^x)}[/itex]. But as you have it written now, [itex]y=(x^x)^x=x^{(x^2)}[/itex].
That's what I was trying to write! I can't get the hang of tex at all... I editted it a few times but couldn't get it to look like: [tex]y=x^{(x^x)}[/tex]

Thanks though at least I know I'm on the right path (I should have explained what I was trying to do a little better in hindsight..)

I'll try and tackle the:

[tex]y=(x^x)^x=x^{(x^2)}[/tex]

Problem now and see if I can get Vietdao's solution. :)

Lewis

1. What is the formula for differentiating x^x?

The formula for differentiating x^x is (x^x) * (1 + ln(x)).

2. Can x^x be differentiated using the power rule?

No, x^x cannot be differentiated using the power rule as it is a composite function with both a variable and an exponent.

3. How do I differentiate x^x using logarithmic differentiation?

To differentiate x^x using logarithmic differentiation, first take the natural logarithm of both sides to get ln(x^x) = x * ln(x). Then, use the product rule and chain rule to simplify the expression and get the final result of (x^x) * (1 + ln(x)).

4. Is there a specific method for differentiating x^x?

Yes, there is a specific method for differentiating x^x, which is using logarithmic differentiation. This method is especially useful for functions with a variable as the base and exponent.

5. Can I differentiate x^x using the quotient rule?

No, the quotient rule cannot be used to differentiate x^x as it is not a fraction. The quotient rule is used for functions that can be written as a fraction.