Find all the ways of writing N into x^2-y^2

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
These are: ##(57,\ 55)## and ##(15,\ 13)##.In summary, we are required to find all pairs of values x and y for which ##x^2 - y^2 = 112##. By using the prime factorization of 112, we can find other solutions besides the one given in the conversation. These include the pairs (57, 55) and (15, 13).
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
When N=112, find the ways in which we can write it as x^2-y^2.
Relevant Equations
x^2-y^2, a^2 = b^2 mod(N)
We are required to find every way in which we can write 112 as x2-y2. I already found one way using a
2≡b2modN. The values 112≡32mod(112) work and we can factor it as 14x8=112, I am confused how to approach this further for determining other values or would I just stop here? If I do test more values how exactly would I know when to stop? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ver_mathstats said:
Homework Statement:: When N=112, find the ways in which we can write it as x^2-y^2.
Relevant Equations:: x^2-y^2, a^2 = b^2 mod(N)

We are required to find every way in which we can write 112 as x2-y2. I already found one way using a
2≡b2modN. The values 112≡32mod(112) work and we can factor it as 14x8=112, I am confused how to approach this further for determining other values or would I just stop here? If I do test more values how exactly would I know when to stop? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Whenever you see ##x^2-y^2## you can automatically write ##(x-y)(x+y).## Here we have the task to write
$$
N = (x+y)(x-y) = 2\cdot 2 \cdot 2 \cdot 2 \cdot 7
$$
Hence, we have only two prime divisors ##p## of a product. What is a prime divisor? A number ##p## is called prime if ##p\,|\,a\cdot b## implies ##p\,|\,a## or ##p\,|\,b.## This is all you need.

Likes ver_mathstats
ver_mathstats said:
Homework Statement:: When N=112, find the ways in which we can write it as x^2-y^2.

A complete and coherent statement of the problem would be much appreciated.

SammyS said:
A complete and coherent statement of the problem would be much appreciated.
it is written completely and coherently :)

ver_mathstats said:
it is written completely and coherently :)
Hmmm...

ver_mathstats said:

We are required to find every way in which we can write 112 as x2-y2
. I already found one way using a 2≡b2 modN. The values 112
≡32 mod(112) work and we can factor it as 14x8=112
As far as the problem statement is concerned, I believe a clearer statement would be "Find all pairs of values x and y for which ##x^2 - y^2 = 112##." As written, the problem statement doesn't say anything about equivalence classes, so I don't see how modular arithmetic plays a role in this problem.
Regarding your solution, ##11^2 - 3^2 = 112##, so x = 11 and y = 3. x + y = 14 and x - y = 8, so (x + y)(x - y) = 112, as required.

I see at least one more pair of factors of 112 that satisfy ##(x + y)(x - y) = 112##.

Likes SammyS
Mark44 said:
Hmmm...As far as the problem statement is concerned, I believe a clearer statement would be "Find all pairs of values x and y for which ##x^2 - y^2 = 112##."
I assumed it must be asking for pairs of (positive) integers

Mark44 said:
Hmmm...As far as the problem statement is concerned, I believe a clearer statement would be "Find all pairs of values x and y for which ##x^2 - y^2 = 112##." As written, the problem statement doesn't say anything about equivalence classes, so I don't see how modular arithmetic plays a role in this problem.
Regarding your solution, ##11^2 - 3^2 = 112##, so x = 11 and y = 3. x + y = 14 and x - y = 8, so (x + y)(x - y) = 112, as required.

I see at least one more pair of factors of 112 that satisfy ##(x + y)(x - y) = 112##.
Yes, I found the other solution.

Well, you can always look for the pair with :
x+y=N
x-y=1.

ver_mathstats said:
Yes, I found the other solution.
Using the prime factorization (Thanks @fresh_42 .) and the hints by @Mark44 , I found two pairs of integer solutions, in addition to the pair: ##(11,\ 3)## .

1. What is the purpose of finding all the ways of writing N into x^2-y^2?

The purpose of finding all the ways of writing N into x^2-y^2 is to identify all possible combinations of two perfect squares that add up to a given number N. This can help in solving various mathematical problems and equations.

2. How do you find all the ways of writing N into x^2-y^2?

To find all the ways of writing N into x^2-y^2, you can use the difference of squares formula (a^2-b^2 = (a+b)(a-b)). Start by listing out all the possible factors of N and then pair them up in a way that one factor is added to another to give N. For example, for N=25, the factors are 1, 5, 25. We can pair 1 with 24, 5 with 20, and 25 with 0 to get the equations 25 = 13^2 - 12^2, 25 = 12^2 - 7^2, and 25 = 13^2 - 13^2.

3. What are perfect squares?

Perfect squares are numbers that are the result of multiplying a number by itself. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it is the product of 3 and 3 (3x3=9). Other examples of perfect squares are 4, 16, 25, 36, etc.

4. Can N be written as x^2-y^2 if N is a negative number?

No, N cannot be written as x^2-y^2 if N is a negative number. This is because when we take the square root of a negative number, it results in a complex number which cannot be used in the difference of squares formula. Therefore, this formula only works for positive numbers.

5. How can finding all the ways of writing N into x^2-y^2 be useful in real life applications?

Finding all the ways of writing N into x^2-y^2 can be useful in various real life applications such as in engineering, physics, and computer science. It can help in solving equations and problems related to areas and volumes, projectile motion, and even in coding algorithms. It is also a fundamental concept in number theory and can be used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages.