Gear Shaft Design

by mickdriscoll
Tags: design, gear, shaft
Share this thread:
mickdriscoll
Sep19-06, 07:28 PM
P: 13
hi everyone,

suppose i have a system of gears where one shaft contains the initial pinion. a drive torque is applied to the pinion shaft so that the pinion then applies a force to the gear its connected to. how would i calculate the forces on the gear shaft? it is a static system (contant velocity and load torque).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Cyrus
Sep19-06, 07:33 PM
P: 4,780
Just take the torques about the shafts and relate the displacements by [tex]x=r \theta[/tex] Both gears travel the same arc length.
mickdriscoll
Sep19-06, 07:52 PM
thanks for the quick response. what im wondering is how do i calculate the torques? the system layout is attached

i have the drive torque (the bottom shaft). the load torque (the top shaft) is constant but not given. my end goal is to calculate a suitable intermediate shaft (the middle shaft) diameter but i think i can do that.

first i need the torques in the intermediate shaft though. will the load torque simply be equal to the drive torque in order to maintain static equilibrium? i dont really know where to start here. i presume there will be two torques acting on the intermediate shaft as there is a gear and a pinion on it.. i know the gear and pinion sizes.
thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
system.JPG  

Cyrus
Sep19-06, 07:53 PM
Gear Shaft Design

Torque is force times distance.
mickdriscoll
Sep19-06, 08:00 PM
so i just work out the force applied by the pinion on the drive shaft and then put the force on the gear of the intermediate shaft times the distance? sounds obvious now. do i baisically treat the system as not moving (static) under the constant velocity condition?
Cyrus
Sep19-06, 08:08 PM
Can you upload your image onto something like imageshack and put the link?
mickdriscoll
Sep19-06, 08:13 PM
okay im working on it now. just a sec
mickdriscoll
Sep19-06, 08:15 PM
here is the gear system:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...600/system.jpg
Cyrus
Sep19-06, 08:19 PM
error.

Try www.imageshack.cc
mickdriscoll
Sep19-06, 08:24 PM
oh sorry,

here you go

Cyrus
Sep19-06, 08:41 PM
Do you know the radii of all the pieces?
mickdriscoll
Sep19-06, 08:45 PM
no, none of the shaft radii are given. i am to work out minimum shaft diameter of the intermediate shaft given the information above. the gears sizes ARE given. i assume that in order to start i should work out the torques on the intermediate shaft.
Cyrus
Sep19-06, 08:55 PM
Well, I have to do a prelab writeup right now. Errr, I can help you later tonight or tomorrow, but I have to get work done.

Some things to do in the meantime:

Torque = Force times distance

Use that knowledge to find the force as you move from one gear to the next.

When you know the force, it is equal and opposite at the gear in mesh. Use that same equation to find the next torque or radii, depending on what you need to solve for.

Ill be back later, sorry.
mickdriscoll
Sep19-06, 09:09 PM
okay thats fine. thanks a lot for your help. if i come across any more problems i'll post them and wait for your reply.

cheers

Register to reply