Rack and Pinion motor selection

In summary, the student is trying to design a mechanism that will move a load up and down and the motor needed to do this is not clear. The student needs help in calculating the necessary parameters for the motor and is looking for a forum to do so.
Catusee
Summary:: I want to design a mechanism consisting in 4 rack driven pinions , like an elevator and i need help in choosing the right motor.

Hello!I want to design a mechanism consisting in 4 rack driven pinions , connected to each other via shafts, used for a positioning system , a moving up and down platform. It has to carry a load of 1.5 kg and has a speed of 0.036m/s.(the length of the rack is 110 mm(module 0.4) and the platform has to go from the bottom of the rack to the top in 3 seconds).The motor has to hold the whole load when the mechanism stops , it has to have a break.I need help in calculating the parameters of the required motor .Thank you for your time !
The gears atatched to the racks are spur gears , module 0.4 with 20 teeth and the gears connecting the shafts are miter gears with module 0.5 , 20 teeth.

Mentor note: Moved from Mechanical Engineering forum, so no template.
Schema cinematica roti dintate.jpg

Assem3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework? If so, we can move it.

You start with the total moving mass, then calculate the torque needed to move that mass vertically from the gear pitch diameter. Then you calculate the RPM for the desired speed.

Likes Dr.D
It is for my senior thesis , my tutor doesn't help me so much so i found this forum :D, thank you !

Welcome to PF.
The “Metric Module” system is used to design standard compatible gear systems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear#Standard_pitches_and_the_module_system

Start by calculating the radius of the pitch circle on your 20 tooth module 0.4 gear.
Then calculate the tooth pitch of a module 0.4 rack.
Check your result against a measurement of the (irrational pitch?) rack.

Each turn of the pinion will move the stage by 20 * rack pitch = ? mm.
You must raise the load 110 mm in 3 seconds. Start by ignoring the acceleration.
The total mass of the platform and maximum load will be what in kg ?
The change in potential energy PE = m·g·h; of the moving mass will be what in joules ?
Power is the rate of flow of energy; watts = joules / second.
How much power will be needed in watts ?

How much energy will be needed to accelerate the total load to maximum speed ?
Kinetic energy; KE = ½ m·v²
Is that significant compared with the change in PE ?

1. How do I determine the required torque for my rack and pinion motor?

The required torque for a rack and pinion motor depends on several factors such as the load, speed, and efficiency of the system. To calculate the required torque, you can use the formula: torque = force x distance. You will need to determine the maximum force that the motor needs to overcome and the distance it needs to move to calculate the required torque.

2. What is the difference between a servo motor and a stepper motor for rack and pinion systems?

A servo motor is a closed-loop system that uses feedback to accurately control the position and speed of the motor. It is more precise and has higher torque compared to a stepper motor. On the other hand, a stepper motor is an open-loop system that moves in fixed increments, making it less accurate but more cost-effective for simpler applications.

3. How do I select the right gear ratio for my rack and pinion motor?

The gear ratio for a rack and pinion motor depends on the desired speed and torque of the system. A higher gear ratio will result in slower speed but higher torque, while a lower gear ratio will result in faster speed but lower torque. You can use the formula: gear ratio = output gear teeth / input gear teeth to calculate the gear ratio.

4. Can I use a rack and pinion motor for vertical applications?

Yes, you can use a rack and pinion motor for vertical applications, but you will need to consider the weight of the load and the efficiency of the system. A higher gear ratio may be required to overcome the weight and maintain the desired speed.

5. How do I ensure the longevity of my rack and pinion motor?

To ensure the longevity of your rack and pinion motor, it is important to choose a motor with the appropriate torque and speed for your application. Regular maintenance, such as lubrication, is also crucial to prevent wear and tear. Additionally, using high-quality components and following proper installation and usage guidelines can also extend the lifespan of your motor.