Force of Friction Equation?

by paigegail
Tags: equation, force, friction
paigegail
Jan26-04, 09:57 PM
P: 22
I think the reason that my problems have arisen is because of my equation for the force of friction. I have

Ff= ucosAngle

That right?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
chroot
Jan26-04, 10:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
The force due to friction:

[tex]F = \mu N = \mu m g[/tex]

Where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coefficient of friction (either static of kinetic), and [itex]N[/itex] is the normal force. On a horizontal plane, the normal force is just the weight of the object, which is [itex]mg[/itex].

- Warren
kishtik
Jan29-04, 09:38 AM
P: 115
And to include the angle;
[tex]
F_f=\mu mg cos \alpha
[/tex]

himanshu121
Jan29-04, 11:33 AM
P: 661

Force of Friction Equation?

It is the limiting force of friction or say max friction force exerted and f force due to friction depends on the circumstance

For eg moving on a plane surface Chroots Ans is correct and in case if body is on inclined surface Kishtiks Ans is correct
kishtik
Jan30-04, 03:10 AM
P: 115
Originally posted by himanshu121
For eg moving on a plane surface Chroots Ans is correct and in case if body is on inclined surface Kishtiks Ans is correct
I love my equation. What is the angle for a plane surface? 0? Then what is cos0? 1? Then what is 1.mu mg? mu mg? Are the two eqs the same?[:)]
PrudensOptimus
Jan30-04, 08:52 AM
P: 640
Originally posted by himanshu121
It is the limiting force of friction or say max friction force exerted and f force due to friction depends on the circumstance

lol rofl same eq man.
himanshu121
Jan30-04, 09:25 AM
P: 661
It is not same equation

It is the case of the equation under the given conditions only

Register to reply