Register to reply

Force of Friction Equation?

by paigegail
Tags: equation, force, friction
Share this thread:
paigegail
Jan26-04, 09:57 PM
P: 22
I think the reason that my problems have arisen is because of my equation for the force of friction. I have

Ff= ucosAngle

That right?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
chroot
Jan26-04, 10:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
The force due to friction:

[tex]F = \mu N = \mu m g[/tex]

Where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coefficient of friction (either static of kinetic), and [itex]N[/itex] is the normal force. On a horizontal plane, the normal force is just the weight of the object, which is [itex]mg[/itex].

- Warren
kishtik
Jan29-04, 09:38 AM
P: 115
And to include the angle;
[tex]
F_f=\mu mg cos \alpha
[/tex]

himanshu121
Jan29-04, 11:33 AM
P: 658
Force of Friction Equation?

It is the limiting force of friction or say max friction force exerted and f force due to friction depends on the circumstance

For eg moving on a plane surface Chroots Ans is correct and in case if body is on inclined surface Kishtiks Ans is correct
kishtik
Jan30-04, 03:10 AM
P: 115
Originally posted by himanshu121
For eg moving on a plane surface Chroots Ans is correct and in case if body is on inclined surface Kishtiks Ans is correct
I love my equation. What is the angle for a plane surface? 0? Then what is cos0? 1? Then what is 1.mu mg? mu mg? Are the two eqs the same?
PrudensOptimus
Jan30-04, 08:52 AM
P: 640
Originally posted by himanshu121
It is the limiting force of friction or say max friction force exerted and f force due to friction depends on the circumstance

lol rofl same eq man.
himanshu121
Jan30-04, 09:25 AM
P: 658
It is not same equation

It is the case of the equation under the given conditions only

Register to reply