• Thread starter danielsmith123123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
danielsmith123123
Homework Statement
What is the maximum acceleration a car can undergo if
the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the
ground is 0.8? Assume (i) 2-wheel drive, (ii) 4-wheel drive.
[Hint: Consider the normal force on each tire, assumed
equal.]
(a) 0.4 g, 0.4 g.
(b) 0.4 g, 0.8 g.
(c) 0.8 g, 0.4 g.
(d) 0.8 g, 0.8 g.
(e) Cannot tell without more information.
Relevant Equations
N mu = F friction
My answer for this question is d as every car has the same result for the force of friction since the normal and coefficient of static friction is the same. I cannot find an answer online so can anyone help verify this? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
danielsmith123123 said:
Homework Statement: What is the maximum acceleration a car can undergo if
equal.]
(a) 0.4 g, 0.4 g.
(b) 0.4 g, 0.8 g.
(c) 0.8 g, 0.4 g.
(d) 0.8 g, 0.8 g.
Relevant Equations: N mu = F friction

My answer for this question is d as every car has the same result for the force of friction since the normal and coefficient of static friction is the same. I cannot find an answer online so can anyone help verify this? Thank you.
Why (d)? What about a 0-wheel drive?

danielsmith123123 said:
My answer for this question is d as every car has the same result for the force of friction ##\dots##
Exactly what result is this that is the same? Consider the simpler case of a unicycle and a bicycle. Both are 1-wheel drives. As far as calculating the maximum acceleration in each case, what parameters are the same and what are different? Assume that the same person rides either one and that the vehicles have the same mass.

Last edited:
danielsmith123123 said:
My answer for this question is d as every car has the same result for the force of friction since the normal and coefficient of static friction is the same.
With that only statement, how do you know the answer is not a), where the answer is also the same acceleration for both configurations?

You are missing one relevant equation, one that should link the acceleration to the friction forces involved.

Just so we are clear on definitions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-wheel_drive#Four-wheeled_vehicles said:
For four-wheeled vehicles [...], this term [two-wheel drive (2WD)] is used to describe vehicles that are able to power at most two wheels, [...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive#4WD said:
4WD
Four-wheel drive (4WD) refers to vehicles with two axles providing torque to four axle ends.

danielsmith123123 said:
Homework Statement: What is the maximum acceleration a car can undergo if
equal.]
(a) 0.4 g, 0.4 g.
(b) 0.4 g, 0.8 g.
(c) 0.8 g, 0.4 g.
(d) 0.8 g, 0.8 g.
Relevant Equations: N mu = F friction

Have you ever been to a drag race? Why don't pavement dragsters use 4WD? :wink:

And that "hint" is silly...

[Hint: Consider the normal force on each tire, assumed equal.]

1700526801516.png

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
berkeman said:
Have you ever been to a drag race? Why don't pavement dragsters use 4WD? :wink:

And that "hint" is silly...

[Hint: Consider the normal force on each tire, assumed equal.]

View attachment 335873

Drag race? Can they run wearing all those high heels? ;).

• Haha
Likes berkeman
danielsmith123123 said:
equal.]

N mu = F friction

... every car has the same result for the force of friction since the normal and coefficient of static friction is the same.
Each tire is supporting $$ \frac {m_{car}g} {4}$$ Therefore, that should be the magnitude of the normal force at each contact patch.
Assuming infinite power delivered to each wheel, four versus two contact patches would be able to generate a total pushing force of ...

What is friction force?

Friction force is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

How does friction force affect 2WD and 4WD vehicles differently?

2WD vehicles have only two wheels powered by the engine, so they have less traction and are more prone to slipping and sliding on slippery surfaces. 4WD vehicles, on the other hand, have four wheels powered by the engine, which provides better traction and stability on different types of terrain.

What factors contribute to the difference in friction force between 2WD and 4WD vehicles?

The main factors that contribute to the difference in friction force between 2WD and 4WD vehicles are the number of wheels powered by the engine, the weight distribution of the vehicle, and the type of tires used.

Can friction force be increased or decreased in 2WD and 4WD vehicles?

Yes, friction force can be increased or decreased in both 2WD and 4WD vehicles. This can be achieved by adjusting the weight distribution of the vehicle, using different types of tires, or by engaging or disengaging the 4WD system in 4WD vehicles.

How does friction force affect the performance and handling of 2WD and 4WD vehicles?

Friction force plays a crucial role in the performance and handling of both 2WD and 4WD vehicles. It affects the acceleration, braking, and turning abilities of the vehicle, as well as its stability and traction on different surfaces. The difference in friction force between 2WD and 4WD vehicles can significantly impact their overall performance and handling capabilities.