Register to reply

Kinetic energy of a baseball

by mikefitz
Tags: baseball, energy, kinetic
Share this thread:
mikefitz
Oct4-06, 12:57 PM
P: 156
A pitcher throws a 0.145-kg baseball, and it approaches the bat at a speed of 53.6 m/s. The bat does Wnc = 77.4 J of work on the ball in hitting it. Ignoring the air resistance, determine the speed of the ball after the ball leaves the bat and is 28.5 m above the point of impact.

The only thing I can think of here is that the x displacement is zero since the ball is hit straight up. this means the Cos(theta) is equal to 1. Other than that I am not sure where to begin. I've done similar problems to this, but I'm not so sure how to incorporate 77.4 J into any of my equations...Any ideas? Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
radou
Oct4-06, 01:06 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
Quote Quote by mikefitz
A pitcher throws a 0.145-kg baseball, and it approaches the bat at a speed of 53.6 m/s. The bat does Wnc = 77.4 J of work on the ball in hitting it. Ignoring the air resistance, determine the speed of the ball after the ball leaves the bat and is 28.5 m above the point of impact.

The only thing I can think of here is that the x displacement is zero since the ball is hit straight up. this means the Cos(theta) is equal to 1. Other than that I am not sure where to begin. I've done similar problems to this, but I'm not so sure how to incorporate 77.4 J into any of my equations...Any ideas? Thanks!
The work of the hit equals the change of kinetic energy of the ball before and after the hit. So, you can calculate the speed of the ball after the hit by using that fact. Further on, since total mechanical energy is conserved, you can use the fact that the sum of potential and kinetic energy of the ball right after the hit equals the sum of potential and kinetic energy which the ball has at the height of 28.5 m to retrieve the speed of the ball at the mentioned height.
mikefitz
Oct9-06, 11:26 AM
My attempt at solving the problem:

KEbefore = .5*.145*53.6^2= 208.2896 J
PEbefore = 0

208.2896= .5*.145*v^2 + 40.5398 + 77.4
=.0725*v^2=90.3498

v^2=1246.2

v=35.30 m/s

This is wrong but I'm unsure why??

Doc Al
Oct9-06, 11:45 AM
Mentor
P: 41,454
Kinetic energy of a baseball

Answer this: What's the total energy of the ball immediately after getting hit by the bat?
mikefitz
Oct9-06, 01:09 PM
Quote Quote by Doc Al
Answer this: What's the total energy of the ball immediately after getting hit by the bat?

Total energy after hitting the ball would be:

208.2896 J + 77.4 J (KEbefore + Energy from the bat)

Then wouldn't you just take KEbefore + PEbefore and set it equal to KEafter + PEafter, then solve for v^2 like I did above? Sorry, I'm basically learning this from what I've read in my book; my teacher is being replaced on Wednesday for receiving such a low grade on student evaluations and a number of complaints by the student body as a whole (suprise suprise).

Thanks for the help!
Doc Al
Oct9-06, 01:40 PM
Mentor
P: 41,454
Quote Quote by mikefitz
Total energy after hitting the ball would be:

208.2896 J + 77.4 J (KEbefore + Energy from the bat)
Exactly!

Then wouldn't you just take KEbefore + PEbefore and set it equal to KEafter + PEafter, then solve for v^2 like I did above?
You would set that total energy which you just found equal to KEafter + PEafter. (Assuming you set PE = 0 when the ball is at the bat.) Then solve for v^2 like you did before.
mikefitz
Oct9-06, 02:25 PM
v=58.20, thanks Doc Al!!

Register to reply