Average force between baseball and bat

In summary, a 0.145-kg baseball with an initial speed of 20 m/s rebounds with a speed of 36 m/s after being struck with a bat. The magnitude of the average force between the ball and bat was found to be 3383.333 N using the equation F= mass* Δ velocity/(Δ time). However, when rounded to the nearest whole number, the correct answer is 3383 N.
Rachelbot12

Homework Statement

[/B]
A 0.145- kg baseball with an initial speed of 20 m/s rebounds with a speed of 36 m/s after being struck with a bat. If the duration of contact between ball and bat was 2.4 ms, what was the magnitude of the average force between ball and bat?

Homework Equations

Δ velocity=Vf-Vi
F= mass* Δ velocity/(Δ time)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Δ velocity = -36-20 = -56 m/s

mass* Δ velocity/(Δ time) = 56 m/s * 0.145 kg / .0024s
3383.333 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Rachel, and welcome to PF :)

Seven digits precision is a bit much. Your calculation is just fine. Was that what you wanted to know ?
(In fact PF isn't really meant for stamp-approving homework -- I hope I don't get in trouble over this one...)

BvU said:

Seven digits precision is a bit much. Your calculation is just fine. Was that what you wanted to know ?
(In fact PF isn't really meant for stamp-approving homework -- I hope I don't get in trouble over this one...)

The problem is that it's an online homework and the website is saying it's incorrect. Thank you though!

BvU said:

Actually, I decided to try it without any decimal points and it turned out to be right. Weird. Thanks again :)

I would first verify the given information and equations to ensure their accuracy and relevance to the problem. Once confirmed, I would approach the problem by calculating the change in velocity (Δv) using the given initial and final velocities. From there, I would use the formula for average force (F) to calculate the magnitude of force between the baseball and bat, taking into account the mass of the baseball and the duration of contact between the two objects. Based on my calculations, the magnitude of the average force between the baseball and bat is 3383.333 N. This value represents the average force applied by the bat to the baseball during the 2.4 ms duration of contact. It is important to note that this value may not accurately represent the maximum force experienced by the baseball, as it does not take into account any external forces or factors that may have influenced the rebound of the baseball.

1. What is the average force between a baseball and bat?

The average force between a baseball and bat can vary depending on several factors such as the velocity of the ball, the weight of the bat, and the angle of impact. However, studies have shown that the average force can range from 2,000 to 4,000 pounds.

2. How does the average force between a baseball and bat affect the trajectory of the ball?

The average force between a baseball and bat plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of the ball. A higher force can result in a longer and faster trajectory, while a lower force can lead to a shorter and slower trajectory. Additionally, the angle of impact also affects the trajectory of the ball.

3. Can the average force between a baseball and bat be increased?

Yes, the average force between a baseball and bat can be increased by adjusting the weight of the bat, the angle of impact, and the velocity of the ball. Additionally, proper technique and form can also contribute to increasing the average force between the two objects.

4. Does the average force between a baseball and bat depend on the type of bat used?

Yes, the type of bat used can affect the average force between a baseball and bat. Different materials and designs can result in varying force levels. For example, a wooden bat may have a different average force compared to an aluminum bat.

5. How is the average force between a baseball and bat measured?

The average force between a baseball and bat can be measured using force sensors or by analyzing the trajectory of the ball. Force sensors can be attached to the bat to measure the impact force, while analyzing the ball's trajectory can provide an estimate of the average force. Additionally, computer simulations can also be used to calculate the average force between the two objects.