Register to reply

Ionization Energy

by President Mercury
Tags: energy, ionization
Share this thread:
President Mercury
Oct4-06, 03:58 PM
P: 19
Question: The first and second ionization energies of K are 419 kJ/mol and 3052 kJ/mol, and those of Ca are 590 kJ/mol and 1145 kJ/mol, respectively. Compare their values and comment on the differeneces.

I'm thinking of two different ways of how to do this even though I think both are wrong. I was wondering if I had to take the energy of K and Ca and subtract them? OR do I just look at them and speak about how "different" they are from each other?

I don't know if I'm thinking about this question in a logical way or not? So feed back would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Cesium
Oct4-06, 05:01 PM
P: 274
Why is the second ionization energy of K so large? Think octet rule.
Saketh
Oct4-06, 05:04 PM
P: 262
A qualitative analysis should suffice, provided that you show enough knowledge about valence electrons and ionization energies.

cheechnchong
Oct5-06, 06:44 PM
P: 132
Ionization Energy

Quote Quote by President Mercury
Question: The first and second ionization energies of K are 419 kJ/mol and 3052 kJ/mol, and those of Ca are 590 kJ/mol and 1145 kJ/mol, respectively. Compare their values and comment on the differeneces.

I'm thinking of two different ways of how to do this even though I think both are wrong. I was wondering if I had to take the energy of K and Ca and subtract them? OR do I just look at them and speak about how "different" they are from each other?

I don't know if I'm thinking about this question in a logical way or not? So feed back would be much appreciated. Thanks.
looks like a lab question. The Calcium reacts faster than the Potassium because more energy is removed in a period of time...
mineys
Oct23-06, 06:43 PM
P: 12
Well, first of all, the first ionization enrgy of Ca is greater than that of K because Calcium's nucleus is more effective due to an increased effective nuclear charge. Next, the second ionization energy of Calcium is less than that of K because it is removing an electron from a more excited orbital than the orbital the second electron from K is being removed from. The second ionization energy of K is also about 6x greater than its first ionization energy because it is pulling an electron from a less excited orbital with less shielding and is closer to the nucleus, wheras the second electron being removed from calcium is from the same orbital as before.
I hope that I answered your question!

Register to reply