Standard Free Energy of Activation of a Reaction

J/molIn summary, the standard free energy of activation of reaction B is 60.9 kJ/mol and the standard free energy of activation of the reverse of reaction B is 70.9 kJ/mol.
8008jsmith

Homework Statement

The standard free energy of activation of a reaction A is 83.7 kJ/mol at 298K. Reaction B is 10 million times faster at the same temperature. The products of each reaction are 10 kJ/mol more stable than the reactants.

(a) What is the standard free energy of activation of reaction B
(c) What is the standard free energy of activation of the reverse of reaction B.

2. The attempt at a solution

I used the equation attached in the image to solve for rate B and I got 60.9 and then I added 10 for the reverse. Is that the correct way to go about this question?

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,351
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 2,205
Physics news on Phys.org
If it works, and you're comfortable with it, understand what you've done, go with it.

I had the right formula, I was just using it wrong. For anyone's future reference: Take the log of the rate ratio and then solve for ΔG of each activation energy you need. To get the reverse just add the energy of the products to each reaction energy you're trying to find. Therefore:

log (1/10,000,000) = ΔGB - 83.7 kJ/mol / 2.3(0.008314 kJ/K mol)(298K)

-7 = ΔGB - 83.7 kJ/mol /5.69 kJ/mol

Now just solve for ΔGB

1. What is the Standard Free Energy of Activation of a Reaction?

The Standard Free Energy of Activation of a Reaction, also known as the Gibbs Free Energy of Activation, is a measure of the minimum amount of energy required to initiate a chemical reaction at a given temperature and pressure.

2. How is the Standard Free Energy of Activation of a Reaction calculated?

The Standard Free Energy of Activation is calculated using the Arrhenius equation, which takes into account the activation energy, temperature, and rate constant of the reaction. It is typically expressed in units of joules per mole (J/mol) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

3. What factors can affect the Standard Free Energy of Activation of a Reaction?

The Standard Free Energy of Activation can be affected by a number of factors, including temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants, and the presence of catalysts. Higher temperatures and lower pressures generally result in lower values for the Standard Free Energy of Activation.

4. How does the Standard Free Energy of Activation relate to a reaction's rate?

The Standard Free Energy of Activation is directly related to a reaction's rate. A lower Standard Free Energy of Activation means that the reaction can occur more easily and therefore has a higher rate. Conversely, a higher Standard Free Energy of Activation means the reaction will proceed more slowly.

5. What is the significance of the Standard Free Energy of Activation in chemical reactions?

The Standard Free Energy of Activation is an important concept in chemical kinetics, as it helps to predict the rate at which a reaction will occur. It also provides insight into the stability of reaction intermediates and the overall thermodynamics of a reaction. Additionally, the Standard Free Energy of Activation can be used to compare the efficiency of different reaction pathways and to design more efficient industrial processes.