Book on tensor symmetry, geometries, surfaces

by desA
Tags: book, geometries, surfaces, symmetry, tensor
desA
Oct9-06, 07:12 AM
P: 94
I'm looking for a good tensor reference book that provides insights into the following areas of tensors:

1. Symmetries & how to extract them.

2. Full tensor visualisation eg. how to visualise the stress tensor in its 9 component form without resorting to a split into 3 simultaneous equations.

3. Geometric interpretations of tensors.

I am researching into the Navier-stokes equations from a physical, fluids background & would like to further explore along tensor lines.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

desA
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Chris Hillman
Nov29-06, 03:26 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,341
Hi, desA,

I don't know of a single book which will fill all your requirements, but it might help to know that you can probably pick up some knowledge of the invariants of tensors from good books on classical invariant theory and on representation theory. For visual intuition regarding tensors and exterior forms, you can try Burke, Applied Differential Geometry.

Hope this helps,

Chris Hillman
desA
Dec4-06, 08:25 AM
P: 94
Thanks very much for your useful information, Chris. I've been working through a number of the classical tensor books & have some new insights. I'll look into Burke & see where that leads me. Thanks again.

desA

Register to reply