Maxwell stress tensor to calculate force (EM)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the attraction force between two hemispheres of a sphere with dielectric constant and radius R, placed in a homogenous external electric field. This can be done using the Maxwell stress tensor, which reduces to a formula involving the surface of integration. However, there may be some confusion about the correct surface of integration and the final result may need to be multiplied by two.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A sphere with dielectric constant ##\varepsilon## and radius R is placed inside a homogenous external electric field ##\vec E_0##. The sphere is divided in 2 hemispheres such that their common interface is orthogonal to the external field. Using the energy-momentum tensor, calculate the attraction force between the 2 hemispheres.

Homework Equations

I think they meant "Maxwell stress tensor" instead of "energy-momentum tensor" since the latter seems to be related to special relativity and has nothing to do with this part of the course which is based on the book of Zangwill.
In page 81 in Zangwill's book, there's a formula to calculate the force via Maxwell stress tensor which eventually reduces to ##\vec F = \varepsilon_0 \int_S dS[(\hat n \cdot \vec E ) \vec E -\frac{1}{2}(\vec E \cdot \vec E)\hat n]##. The thing is that I'm not really understanding this formula, especially the part about "S" the surface of integration. There's an example of a charged balloon in the book but it's not clear to me either.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to brainlessly apply the formula in hope of falling over the solution so that I could hope for a reverse engineering in order to understand it, but I failed.
Here's my attempt:
The electric field inside the sphere is ##\vec E_{\text{int}}=\frac{3}{2+\varepsilon}\vec E_0##.
I choose spherical coordinates ##(r, \theta , \phi)##.
So ##\hat n=r\cos \phi \sin \theta \hat i + r \sin \theta \sin \phi \hat j + r \cos \theta \hat k##.
Also, ##\vec E _{\text{int}}=\frac{3}{2+\varepsilon}|\vec E_0|\hat k##.
I picked the surface of integration as a hemisphere, so ##r=R##, ##\theta:[0, \pi/2]## and ##\phi :[0,2 \pi]##.
So I plugged and chugged ##\vec E_{\text{int}}## and ##\hat n## inside of the formula given above. As soon as I obtained a non vanishing result in the ##\hat i## direction, I stopped my calculations, I know something is wrong but I can't avoid this result unless I change the surface of integration but I've no idea which one to pick... So I'm stuck here.
I expect the force to be in the ##\hat k## direction only due to the symmetry of the problem, of course.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how you are getting a non vanishing result in the i-hat direction. All but the k-hat direction should vanish after integrating with respect to phi. What is the vector expression you got for your integrand?

Likes fluidistic
MisterX said:
I don't know how you are getting a non vanishing result in the i-hat direction. All but the k-hat direction should vanish after integrating with respect to phi. What is the vector expression you got for your integrand?
Yeah that's what I was expecting.
[tex]\vec F = \varepsilon_0 \int_S dS [\left ( \frac{3R\cos(\theta)|\vec E_0|}{2+\varepsilon} \cdot \frac{3|\vec E_0|\hat k}{2+\varepsilon} \right ) -\frac{1}{2}\left ( \frac{3}{2+\varepsilon} \right ) ^2 |\vec E_0|^2R(\cos \phi \sin \theta \hat i + \sin \theta \sin \phi \hat j + \cos \theta \hat k) ][/tex]
Now focusing only on the term with ##\hat i## (due to length of the expression), I get that it's worth a constant times ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi/2} \cos \phi \sin ^2 (\theta) d\theta d\phi##.
Oops my bad you're right, it's worth 0... same for the term with ##\hat j##... Thanks a lot!

Ok I reach ##\vec F=\left ( \frac{3}{2+\varepsilon} \right )^2\varepsilon_0 |\vec E_0|^2 \pi \frac{a^3}{2}\hat k##.
I integrated over a single hemisphere. I am guessing that I should integrate over the 2 hemispheres separately and then add the result in order to get the total force. Overall I guess that the total force is actually twice the one I reached (assuming the math is ok).
Therefore my answer would be ##\vec F=\left ( \frac{3}{2+\varepsilon} \right )^2\varepsilon_0 |\vec E_0|^2 \pi a^3 \hat k##.

1. How is the Maxwell stress tensor used to calculate force in electromagnetism?

The Maxwell stress tensor is a mathematical tool used to describe the distribution of electromagnetic forces in a given space. It is derived from the electromagnetic fields and can be used to calculate the force on a charged particle or object in an electromagnetic field.

2. What is the mathematical formula for the Maxwell stress tensor?

The Maxwell stress tensor is represented by a 3x3 matrix with 9 components. It is given by:
σij = ε0(EiEj + BiBj) - 1/2δij(E2 + B2)
where σij is the stress tensor, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, Ei and Bi are the electric and magnetic field components, and δij is the Kronecker delta.

3. What are the physical interpretations of the components of the Maxwell stress tensor?

The diagonal components of the stress tensor, σxx, σyy, and σzz, represent the normal stresses acting on the surface in the x, y, and z directions respectively. The off-diagonal components, σxy, σxz, and σyz, represent the shear stresses acting on the surface. In electromagnetism, these stresses arise from the interaction of the electric and magnetic fields with the charged particles in the medium.

4. Can the Maxwell stress tensor be used to calculate the force on a current-carrying wire?

Yes, the Maxwell stress tensor can be used to calculate the force on a current-carrying wire in an electromagnetic field. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is given by:
F = I∫(dL x B)
where I is the current in the wire, dL is a small element of the wire, and B is the magnetic field. This equation can be derived using the Maxwell stress tensor.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Maxwell stress tensor to calculate force in electromagnetism?

One limitation of the Maxwell stress tensor is that it assumes a linear, isotropic, and homogeneous medium. In reality, most materials do not meet these criteria and the stress tensor may not accurately reflect the true forces acting in the system. Additionally, the stress tensor does not take into account relativistic effects, which may be important in high-speed or high-energy systems.