How Is Acceleration Calculated with Force and Friction Involved?

• Thread starter badboyben03
  • Start date
In summary, by using the formula for the sum of forces, it was determined that the acceleration of a 70 kg box being pulled by a 400 N force at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal, with a force of kinetic friction of 75 N, is approximately 3.9 m/s/s.
badboyben03
a 70 kg box s pulled by a 400 N force at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. The force of kinetic friction is 75 N.

determine the acceleration.

heres what i did

first i found the x-component using (686)sin30 and it comes out to be 343.

Then i use the formula where the sum of forces = m*a and i plug in the numbers. 343=70a. divide by a and accelertaion is 4.9 m/s/s. is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal component of the tension should be 400*cos(30)~346 N

The sum of forces in the x direction is then 346 - 75 = ma

solve for a ~ 3.9 m/s/s.

Yes, your calculation is correct. The acceleration of the box is 4.9 m/s/s. You can also check your answer by using the formula for acceleration, a = Fnet/m. In this case, the net force is 400 N - 75 N = 325 N, and the mass is 70 kg. Plugging in these values, we get a = 325 N / 70 kg = 4.64 m/s/s, which is close to your answer of 4.9 m/s/s. Great job!

1. How can I find someone to check my work?

There are a few options for finding someone to check your work. You can ask a colleague or peer who is knowledgeable in the subject area, seek out a mentor or advisor, or hire a professional editor or proofreader.

2. Why is it important to have someone check my work?

Having someone check your work can help catch any errors or mistakes that you may have missed. They can also provide valuable feedback and suggestions for improvement.

3. What should I look for when choosing someone to check my work?

You should look for someone who is knowledgeable in the subject area and has a good eye for detail. It is also important to find someone who is reliable and trustworthy.

4. How much should I pay someone to check my work?

The cost of having someone check your work will vary depending on the length and complexity of your work, as well as the experience and expertise of the person you hire. It is important to discuss pricing and expectations beforehand.

5. Is it okay to have multiple people check my work?

It is generally a good idea to have multiple people check your work, especially if it is for an important project or publication. This can help catch any errors or provide different perspectives on your work.