Constant frictional resistance & retardation

In summary: The term "frictional resistance" here refers to what I prefer to call "rolling resistance". It is a combination of forces that act to impede motion even though the wheel is in rolling contact. It includes friction in the axle and losses due to deformation, but not friction between wheel and road surface, neither static nor kinetic.
es4
Homework Statement
i) A car of mass 1.15 tonne, travelling on a straight level road, steadily rolls to rest from a speed of 20 m/s, in a distance of 800 m.

Determine, to 1 decimal place, the constant frictional resistance that causes the retardation.

What the question mean by "constant frictional resistance" in terms of formula?
Relevant Equations
f = m *a
f (friction) = mu * N (weight m*g)
What the question mean by "constant frictional resistance" in terms of formula?

I suppose they meant... "resistance force (f)" which is, >> f = m * a. So, here is my try...

m = 1.15 ton or 1150 kg
vi = 20 m/s
vf = 0
d = 800 m

v^2 - u^2 = 2ad
0 - 20^2 = 2a* 800
- 400 = 2a* 800
- 400 / 800 = 2a
- 0.5 = 2a
- 0.5 / 2 = a
- 0.25 or -0.3 = a m/s^2

constant friction force….
f = mass * acceleration
f = 1150 * - 0.25
f = -287.5 N <<<ans.?

Or, I am wrong? Does "constant frictional resistance" means, the value of "mu" or maybe "f (friction)" which is, >> f (friction) = mu * N (weight m*g)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the problem asks for the value of a constant horizontal force which is applied in a direction opposite to the movement of the car.

Lnewqban said:
I believe that the problem asks for the value of a constant horizontal force which is applied in a direction opposite to the movement of the car.
Do you mean, just the rate of deceleration? which was >>> a = - 0.25 or -0.3 m/s^2

No, just imagine replacing the lady in the picture with the car of our problem.
The dragging tire induces a constant friction force that opposes the movement.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    70 KB · Views: 57
Lnewqban said:
No, just imagine replacing the lady in the picture with the car of our problem.
The dragging tire induces a constant friction force that opposes the movement.
Ok, that means I suppose to find "f (friction)" <<<<< which is, f (friction) = mu * N (weight m*g)... thanks.

Likes Lnewqban
es4 said:
Ok, that means I suppose to find "f (friction)" <<<<< which is, f (friction) = mu * N (weight m*g)... thanks.
The cause is friction, the efect is decelerating force.
We could have many combinations of N and mu resulting in the same force opposing the movement.

A heavier tire on smooth wet concrete could produce similar dragging force or "frictional resistance (to linear forward movement)" than a lighter tire on rough dry asphalt.

Please, see this excellent tutorial on friction applied to several cases:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-friction/

:)

Last edited:
es4 said:
which is, f (friction) = mu * N (weight m*g)
Not quite.
The term "frictional resistance" here refers to what I prefer to call "rolling resistance". It is a combination of forces that act to impede motion even though the wheel is in rolling contact. It includes friction in the axle and losses due to deformation, but not friction between wheel and road surface, neither static nor kinetic.
See the link @Lnewqban provided.

1. What is constant frictional resistance?

Constant frictional resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object and remains constant throughout the motion. It is caused by the contact between two surfaces and is dependent on the coefficient of friction and the normal force between the surfaces.

2. How does frictional resistance affect motion?

Frictional resistance acts in the opposite direction of motion and reduces the speed of an object. This means that it can cause an object to slow down or come to a complete stop if the force of friction is greater than the force propelling the object forward.

3. What factors affect the amount of frictional resistance?

The amount of frictional resistance depends on the type of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. It also depends on the speed and direction of motion, as well as the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

4. How can frictional resistance be reduced?

Frictional resistance can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. It can also be reduced by using smoother surfaces or by reducing the force pushing the surfaces together.

5. What is the difference between frictional resistance and retardation?

Frictional resistance is a force that opposes motion and remains constant, while retardation is the decrease in speed of an object due to an opposing force. Retardation can be caused by various forces, including frictional resistance, air resistance, and gravitational pull. Frictional resistance specifically refers to the force caused by contact between two surfaces.