Solve Magnetism Problems: Probs 1, 4, 8 & 10

• Thread starter mustang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary: Then use the equation for the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire to solve for the field strength.
mustang
Problem 1.
A proton moves perpandicularly to a magnetic field that has a magnitude of 4.70*10^-2 T.
What is the speed of the particle if the magnitude of the magnetic force on it is 2.12*10^-14 N? Answer in m/s.
Note: What formula should I use?

Problem 4.
A proton moves straight upward (away from the ground) through a uniform magnetic field that points from east to west and has a magnitude of 4.7 T.
a. If the proton moves with a speed 1.5*10^7 m/s through this field, what is the magnitude of the force acting on it? Answer in N.

Problem 8.
The magnetic force on a straight 0.37m segment of wire carrying a current of 4.5 A is 0.60 N.
What is the magnitude of the component of the magnetic field that is perpendicular to the wire? Answer in T.
Note: What should i do first?

Problem 10.
Given: g=9.81m/s^2.
A thin 2.18m long copper rod in a uniform magnetic field has a mass of 52.2g. When the rod carries a current of 0.260 A, it floats in the magnetic field.
What is the field strength of the magnetic field? Answer in T.
NOte: Where do i start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by mustang
Problem 1.
A proton moves perpandicularly to a magnetic field that has a magnitude of 4.70*10^-2 T.
What is the speed of the particle if the magnitude of the magnetic force on it is 2.12*10^-14 N? Answer in m/s.

Problem 4.
A proton moves straight upward (away from the ground) through a uniform magnetic field that points from east to west and has a magnitude of 4.7 T.
a. If the proton moves with a speed 1.5*10^7 m/s through this field, what is the magnitude of the force acting on it? Answer in N.

Take a close look at the equation for the magnetic force on a moving charged particle.

Problem 8.
The magnetic force on a straight 0.37m segment of wire carrying a current of 4.5 A is 0.60 N.
What is the magnitude of the component of the magnetic field that is perpendicular to the wire? Answer in T.
Note: What should i do first?

Take a close look at the equation for the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire.

Problem 10.
Given: g=9.81m/s^2.
A thin 2.18m long copper rod in a uniform magnetic field has a mass of 52.2g. When the rod carries a current of 0.260 A, it floats in the magnetic field.
What is the field strength of the magnetic field? Answer in T.
NOte: Where do i start?

Draw a free body diagram, and balance the forces.

Problem 1: To solve this problem, you can use the formula F = qvB, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle (in this case, the charge of a proton is 1.6*10^-19 C), v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field strength. Rearrange the formula to solve for v, and plug in the given values to get v = 1.34*10^5 m/s.

Problem 4: To solve this problem, you can use the formula F = qvB, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle (in this case, the charge of a proton is 1.6*10^-19 C), v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field strength. Plug in the given values to get F = 1.12*10^-12 N.

Problem 8: To solve this problem, you can use the formula F = ILBsinθ, where F is the magnetic force, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. In this case, θ is 90 degrees since the wire is perpendicular to the field. Rearrange the formula to solve for B, and plug in the given values to get B = 0.16 T.

Problem 10: To solve this problem, you can use the formula F = mg = ILBsinθ, where F is the magnetic force, m is the mass of the rod, g is the acceleration due to gravity, I is the current, L is the length of the rod, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the rod and the magnetic field. In this case, θ is also 90 degrees since the rod is perpendicular to the field. Rearrange the formula to solve for B, and plug in the given values to get B = 0.13 T.

1. How do I approach solving magnetism problems?

When solving magnetism problems, it is important to first identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the relevant equations and principles of magnetism to solve for the unknown variable.

2. What are the common types of magnetism problems?

The most common types of magnetism problems include calculating the magnetic field strength or force between two magnets, determining the direction of magnetic force on a moving charge, and finding the magnetic field inside a solenoid.

3. How do I calculate magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength can be calculated using the equation B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

4. What is the right hand rule in magnetism?

The right hand rule is a way to determine the direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. It states that if the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the particle's velocity, and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm will point in the direction of the magnetic force.

5. How can I check my answer for a magnetism problem?

To check your answer for a magnetism problem, you can use the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. The magnetic force should be equal to the change in momentum over time, and the work done by the magnetic force should equal the change in kinetic energy.