Electromagnetic effects and Magnetic Fields Questions

In summary, when two parallel wires carry current in the same direction, they exert equal and opposite attractive forces on each other. The induced emf is measured in volts, equal to one joule per coulomb. The incorrect unit for emf would be anything that is not equivalent to a volt. The Earth's magnetic field has a vertical component that can induce emf across the wings of a flying object, regardless of the direction it is traveling. A magnetic force is exerted on charged particles when they move perpendicular to the field lines in a magnetic field. However, this can also apply to macroscopic objects such as paper clips.
lpettigrew
Homework Statement
I have been learning about electromagnetic effects recently and while revising have found several, relatively straight forward problems. However, my understanding of this topic is rather inexperienced and therefore I wondered whether anyone could dispense any further comments about how to improve my responses.

1. What force will two long parallel wires carrying a current in the same direction exert?
2. A 20 mm long conductor is positioned within a magnetic field of flux density of 0.10 T. The conductor is moving in a direction at 30 degrees to the field at at speed of 5ms^-2. Find the value of the induced EMF.
3. In what direction would an aircraft flying horizontally have to fly to induce an emf across its wings?
4. What would be an incorrect unit for emf?
5. A conductor of length 20 mm is carrying a current of 5 A and is situated in a magnetic field of flux density 0.10 T. If the current is flowing in a direction at 30 degrees to the field lines find the magnitude of the force on the wire?
6. What experiences a force in a magnetic field?
7. What is the value of flux when the magnetic flux through a coil of 5 turns is uniformly increased from zero to a final value in 10 s, inducing an EMF of 0.03 V across the coil?
Relevant Equations
F = BILsinθ
ε= ΔNΦ/Δt
1. When two parallel wires carry current in the same direction, they exert equal and opposite attractive forces on each other.

2. ε=lvBsinθ
ε=0.02*5*0.1*sin30
ε=0.005 V

3. Well, a conductor moving through a magnetic field has the potential to induce an emf, but this movement must be in such a direction that the conductor cuts through the lines of magnetic flux, and will be a maximum when it moves perpendicular to the field. Would this imply that this occurs when the plane travels from East to West?

4. In S.I. units, emf is measured in volts, equal to one joule per coulomb. Therefore would the incorrect unit be AΩ^-1 or perhaps Wbs^-1?

5. F = BILsinθ
F=0.1*5*0.02*sin30
F=0.005 N

6. A magnetic force will be exerted when a charged particle moves perpendicular to the field, therefore, a charged particle whose velocity has a component perpendicular to the field lines will experience a force when positioned in a magnetic field.

7. Rearranging the formula for induced emf;
ε= ΔNΦ/Δt
Φ=εt/N
Therefore Φ=0.03*10/5=0.06 Wb

I would be very grateful for any assistance and truly just want to better understand this subject area 🤞

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I would just like to work with one item at a time. For (3), the Earth's magnetic field in many places has a vertical component to it. I think it will be the vertical component that makes for the EMF across the wings, and I don't think the direction matters, so long as there is a vertical component to the Earth's magnetic field.

In flying east and west, the EMF will be from bottom to top and visa versa.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
lpettigrew said:
4. In S.I. units, emf is measured in volts, equal to one joule per coulomb. Therefore would the incorrect unit be AΩ^-1 or perhaps Wbs^-1?
Anything that's not equivalent to a volt would be an incorrect unit. But Wb/s is equivalent to a volt, isn't it?

6. A magnetic force will be exerted when a charged particle moves perpendicular to the field, therefore, a charged particle whose velocity has a component perpendicular to the field lines will experience a force when positioned in a magnetic field.
This question does seem a little vague. Your answer is correct as far as charges go. But I can think of macroscopic objects, like paper clips, that experience a force in a magnetic field, so you could expand on your answer.

Likes Delta2

1. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It is made up of both electric and magnetic components and is responsible for the interactions between charged particles.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. This can occur naturally, such as in the Earth's core, or artificially through the use of electric currents or magnets.

3. What are the effects of electromagnetic fields on living organisms?

The effects of electromagnetic fields on living organisms are still being studied, but some potential effects include changes in cell growth and reproduction, as well as interference with the body's natural electrical signals.

4. How do magnetic fields affect electronic devices?

Magnetic fields can interfere with electronic devices by inducing electric currents in their circuits. This can cause malfunctions or even permanent damage to the device.

5. Can electromagnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, electromagnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by materials that conduct electricity, such as metal. This is why many electronic devices are encased in metal to protect them from external electromagnetic interference.