Non-commutative geometry in ST?

by eigenguy
Tags: geometry, noncommutative
eigenguy
Feb11-04, 10:28 AM
P: 97
I know that the spacetime position coordinates of D-branes become non-commuting matrices for coincident D-branes, but I'm not sure how or if this is related to the employment of NCG in ST.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
JasonJo
Feb11-04, 06:37 PM
P: 431
stop...

anyway, if noncommutative matrices can describe the coordinates of D branes, i am sure it would make sense that NGC plays a significant role in string theory. matrices --> geometry connection?
eigenguy
Feb11-04, 08:33 PM
P: 97
Originally posted by JasonJo
stop...

anyway, if noncommutative matrices can describe the coordinates of D branes, i am sure it would make sense that NGC plays a significant role in string theory. matrices --> geometry connection?
That's what I think too. But I was trying to decipher a paper by edward witten and near as I could tell, this use of NCG was distinctly different from the D-brane thing and had something to do with the antisymmetric B-field in the massless bosonic sector. Anyway, I just ordered a copy of "D-branes" by victor johnson and it apparently includes a more accessable discussion of it. I guess I'll see.

Register to reply