Non-commutative geometry in ST?

by eigenguy
Tags: geometry, noncommutative
eigenguy
Feb11-04, 10:28 AM
P: 97
I know that the spacetime position coordinates of D-branes become non-commuting matrices for coincident D-branes, but I'm not sure how or if this is related to the employment of NCG in ST.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Sensitive detection method may help impede illicit nuclear trafficking
CERN: World-record current in a superconductor
Beam on target: CEBAF accelerator achieves 12 GeV commissioning milestone
JasonJo
Feb11-04, 06:37 PM
P: 431
stop...

anyway, if noncommutative matrices can describe the coordinates of D branes, i am sure it would make sense that NGC plays a significant role in string theory. matrices --> geometry connection?
eigenguy
Feb11-04, 08:33 PM
P: 97
Originally posted by JasonJo
stop...

anyway, if noncommutative matrices can describe the coordinates of D branes, i am sure it would make sense that NGC plays a significant role in string theory. matrices --> geometry connection?
That's what I think too. But I was trying to decipher a paper by edward witten and near as I could tell, this use of NCG was distinctly different from the D-brane thing and had something to do with the antisymmetric B-field in the massless bosonic sector. Anyway, I just ordered a copy of "D-branes" by victor johnson and it apparently includes a more accessable discussion of it. I guess I'll see.

Register to reply