Inductors i think it'll make an harmonic type of move

In summary, the conversation is about the behavior of an LC circuit with a fully charged capacitor at t=0. The voltage drop across the capacitor is EC=-q/C and the voltage drop across the inductor is EL=-L(di/dt)=-L(d2i/dt2). The solution to the equation q"+(1/LC)q=0 with initial conditions q(0)=Q and i(0)=q'(0)=0 is q(t)=Q*cos(ωt), where ω=(1/LC)1/2. The oscillatory behavior of q(t) is a result of the combination of the element laws and the conservation of energy.
ismael18
as far as i know about inductors i think it'll make an harmonic type of move...
but it seems to make no sense
can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you weren't very explicit as to what kind of circuit you are talking about, let's keep it simple: An LC circuit with a fully charged capacitor at t=0.

Now let the capacitor discharge through the inductor. What happens?

The voltage drop across the capacitor is EC=-q/C, and that across the inductor is EL=-L(di/dt)=-L(d2i/dt2). I will let q" (q-double-prime) denote the second time derivative of q from now on.

Kirchhoff's voltage law says that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must be zero. This is just the conservation of energy in disguse. So, we have:

EI+EC=0

or

q"+(1/LC)q=0

The solution to this equation, with q(0)=Q and i(0)=q'(0)=0, is

q(t)=Q*cos(ωt),

where ω=(1/LC)1/2.

As you can see, the oscillatory behavior of q(t) is due to the combined influences of the element laws and the conservation of energy.

Inductors are passive electronic components that store energy in the form of a magnetic field. They are commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of current and to filter out unwanted signals.

While it is true that inductors can produce a harmonic motion, this is not their primary function. The harmonic motion is a result of the inductor's ability to store energy and release it in a controlled manner.

If you are having trouble understanding inductors and their role in electronic circuits, it is best to seek help from a knowledgeable source such as a teacher or a professional in the field. They can provide you with a better understanding of inductors and how they work in specific applications.

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that is used to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coiled wire or other conductor and is used in circuits to control the flow of current.

2. How does an inductor work?

An inductor works by resisting changes in current flow. When current flows through the inductor, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field then opposes the change in current, causing the inductor to store energy. When the current stops, the magnetic field collapses and releases the stored energy.

3. Can inductors create a harmonic motion?

Yes, inductors can create a harmonic motion when used in combination with other components such as capacitors and resistors. This is known as an LC circuit, which can produce a sinusoidal or harmonic oscillation.

4. How are inductors used in electronic devices?

Inductors are used in a variety of electronic devices, including power supplies, filters, and signal processing circuits. They are also commonly used in radio frequency (RF) circuits and inductors are used in the power supply of electronic devices to convert AC current to DC current.

5. What are the different types of inductors?

There are several types of inductors including air core, iron core, and ferrite core inductors. Air core inductors have a low inductance value and are used in high-frequency applications. Iron core inductors have a higher inductance value and are used in low-frequency applications. Ferrite core inductors have the highest inductance value and are used in high-frequency applications.