Machine Dynamics: Manual Air Pump Calculation (please check my answer)

In summary, the speaker has been stuck on a problem for a week and believes they have solved it, but needs help identifying any errors. They also mention a fuzzy image and question the assumption of a steady velocity. A mentor suggests showing their work and clarifies that the solution is obtained through measurements rather than algebra.
JamesBennettBeta
mentor note: moved from ME forum hence no HW template.

Summary:: I am stuck into this problem for almost a week now. I think I solved it, but it seems something is wrong. Can someone point me, what is wrong here. It'll be so much helpful.

I am stuck into this problem for almost a week now. I think I solved it, but it seems something is wrong. Can someone point me, what is wrong here. It'll be so much helpful.
question.JPG

answer.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The image is a bit too fuzzy for me to read. Please type in your working, as required by the forum rules.

Should we assume that the mentioned steady velocity of point C is a vector always perpendicular to CO?

Lnewqban said:
Should we assume that the mentioned steady velocity of point C is a vector always perpendicular to CO?
I assumed it meant a steady tangential speed, not linear velocity.
I haven't come across this velocity diagram technique before. As far as I can make out, the solution is obtained by measurements from a scale drawing, not by algebra.

Likes Lnewqban
Thank you, haruspex.
I hope the OP can soon show us his work more clearly.

1. What is machine dynamics?

Machine dynamics is the study of the movement and forces of machines, including how they are affected by external factors such as friction, gravity, and inertia.

2. What is a manual air pump?

A manual air pump is a device used to manually pump air into a system or object, such as a tire or inflatable object. It typically consists of a handle, a pump chamber, and a nozzle.

3. How do you calculate the air pressure from a manual air pump?

The air pressure from a manual air pump can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the handle by the area of the pump chamber. This can be represented by the equation P = F/A, where P is the air pressure, F is the force applied, and A is the area of the pump chamber.

4. What factors can affect the air pressure from a manual air pump?

The air pressure from a manual air pump can be affected by the force applied to the handle, the size and shape of the pump chamber, the type of nozzle used, and external factors such as temperature and altitude.

5. How accurate are manual air pump calculations?

The accuracy of manual air pump calculations depends on the precision of the measurements used and the accuracy of the equation used to calculate the air pressure. It is important to use precise measurements and accurate equations to ensure the most accurate results.