High Voltage line with a resistance problem

In summary, to calculate the power loss due to resistance in the high voltage line, you need to calculate the total power delivered from the station (using either Ohm's Law or the formula P = RI^2) and then subtract the power with resistance from it. This can be done by using Kirchoff's Current Law to find the current and average resistance in the line. The voltage specified in the question is not specific to the line, so it must be calculated using two specified points. This is why voltage is stepped up in distribution - to reduce current and minimize power loss. The resulting power loss is significant, emphasizing the importance of stepping up voltage in distribution.
Spectre32
Here is the question:

A high Voltage line with a resistance of .18 ohms/km carries a current of 1525A. The line is at a potential of 1500 kV at the powerstation and caries to current to a city located 192 km away. What is the power loss due to resistance in the line. Answer in units of MW.

I throught P =IV was all i had to do. Now I'm thinking i need to calculate the total power. Then calculate the power with resistance in it and subtract the two. I'm not sure how to do the power with resisatance. I'm think i used use P=v^2/R but i think i need to conver the ohms out of ohm/km.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want the power lost in the line. If you use the voltage that is input into the line at the station, then you will calculate the total power delivered from the station, some of which is lost, and (hopefully) most of which is delivered to the customer after the 180 km. The voltage you were given is not quite specific to the line. To have a voltage, you need two points specified. It wouldn't make much sense to specify the voltage drop from the station to the customer (well, maybe it would, but I'm going to say that it doesn't). The voltage is specified wrt ground, the same at at the customer. So what do you do?

Well, thanks to KCL, you know what the current is everywhere in the line. And you know what the resistance is per length. So this is like a really smooth series circuit. After some averaging, you get a total resistance, and you know the current. From here, you can either use Ohm's Law to get the voltage drop across the line, or you can use the one of the three power formula's that doesn't require a voltage (and is the most directly relevant/physically meaningful in this application):

P = RI2

Holy crap, that's a hell of a lot of loss.

BTW, this is why they step the voltage up to distribute it: it reduces the current for a given amount of power.

Last edited:

Yes, you are correct in needing to convert the resistance from ohms/km to ohms. To do this, you will need to multiply the resistance by the distance of the line (192 km). This will give you the total resistance of the line.

Once you have the total resistance, you can use the formula P=I^2*R to calculate the power loss due to resistance. In this formula, P represents power in watts, I represents current in amperes, and R represents resistance in ohms.

So, to calculate the power loss due to resistance, you will need to plug in the values of 1525A for I and the total resistance of the line for R. Make sure to convert the power to megawatts (MW) by dividing by 1 million.

The final answer will be the power loss due to resistance in units of MW.

1. What is a high voltage line with a resistance problem?

A high voltage line with a resistance problem is a power transmission line that has resistance issues, which can cause a decrease in the amount of electricity being delivered to its destination. This can result in a loss of power and potential damage to electrical equipment.

2. What causes resistance problems in high voltage lines?

There are various factors that can cause resistance problems in high voltage lines, such as the material and design of the line, environmental conditions, and aging of the equipment. Resistance can also be affected by external factors like temperature changes, moisture, and contaminants on the line.

3. How does resistance affect the performance of a high voltage line?

Resistance in a high voltage line can cause a decrease in the amount of electricity being delivered, which can result in a loss of power and potential damage to electrical equipment. It can also lead to voltage drops and fluctuations, which can disrupt the stability of the power grid and cause outages.

4. How is the resistance of a high voltage line measured?

The resistance of a high voltage line is typically measured using specialized equipment, such as a digital ohmmeter or a megger. These devices measure the resistance by sending a known amount of current through the line and measuring the resulting voltage drop. The resistance is then calculated using Ohm's Law (R=V/I).

5. How can resistance problems in high voltage lines be fixed?

The most common way to fix resistance problems in high voltage lines is to replace the damaged or faulty components, such as insulators, conductors, or connectors. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address potential resistance issues before they become major problems.