Using Current and Voltage Dividers

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving resistors and a current source. The solution involves finding the equivalent resistance, using a voltage divider to find the voltage, and using Ohm's law to calculate the current and power. The conversation also addresses a specific question about adding the equivalent resistance twice and clarifies that knowing the signs is not necessary for solving the problem.
rugerts
Homework Statement
Find:
A) vo
B) io
C) power dissipated in 6 ohm resistor
D) power developed by current source
Relevant Equations
Current and Voltage divider equations. Ohm's law.
1569796125484.png
Can anyone explain how to go about this? I don't understand the solution, which says:
A) Find the equivalent resistance (10 ohms). Find the voltage of the current source (4.2*10 = 42 V). Use a voltage divider to find vo = 42*(20/(10+20))=28V. My question is why do we need to add 10, which is R equivalent to 20 again? I thought I could just put 10 in the denominator, since this is R equivalent.
B) Similar questions. Voltage across 90 ohm resistor = 42*((90 in parallel with 10)/(6+(90 in parallel with 10)) = 25.2 V. Current across 90 ohm resistor = 25.2/90 = 0.28 A.
C) Power dissipated by 6 ohm resistor = (Voltage across current source - voltage across 90 ohm resistor)^2 / 6. My question here is how do I know which is positive and which is negative here in terms of subtraction/addition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the full statement of the problem before seeking help. We cannot help you without it. For example, where does the 42 come from?

kuruman said:
Please post the full statement of the problem before seeking help. We cannot help you without it. For example, where does the 42 come from?
sorry, the only thing I left out was that ig, the current source, is 4.2 A

I wouldn't worry about voltage divider equations. You have a total current of 4.2 A that is split between the branch on the left and the branch on the right and two equivalent resistances on the the left and on the right. If you find the equivalent resistances, you can find what fraction of the total current flows in each branch. Once you have that, the rest should be easy using Ohm's law.

To answer your specific question for (a), note that the current in the ##20~\mathrm{\Omega}## and the ##10~\mathrm{\Omega}## resistors is the same. You know that ##V=IR## for each resistor. This means that the ##20~\mathrm{\Omega}## resistor has twice the voltage across it than the ##10~\mathrm{\Omega}## resistor. How do you split 42 V into two pieces such that one is twice as large as the other? Answer: You split it into three pieces and give two to the larger resistor and one to the smaller resistor, ##\frac{2}{3}=\frac{20}{20+10}##.

You don't need to know any signs for (c). ##P=I^2R##. If you find the current that flows in the circuit on the right as I suggested earlier, you are in business.

1. What is a current divider?

A current divider is a circuit configuration that splits an input current into multiple output currents. It is typically used to divide a single current source into smaller, more manageable currents for different parts of a circuit.

2. How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider is a circuit that divides an input voltage into smaller output voltages. It consists of two or more resistive elements connected in series, with the output voltage taken from the connection between the resistors.

3. What is the formula for calculating current division?

The formula for current division is In = Iin * (Rn / ΣR), where In is the output current, Iin is the input current, Rn is the resistance of the nth resistor, and ΣR is the sum of all resistances in the circuit.

4. How do you calculate voltage division?

The formula for voltage division is Vn = Vin * (Rn / ΣR), where Vn is the output voltage, Vin is the input voltage, Rn is the resistance of the nth resistor, and ΣR is the sum of all resistances in the circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of current and voltage dividers?

Current and voltage dividers are commonly used in electronic circuits to provide specific currents or voltages to different components. They are also used in sensor circuits to convert varying inputs into usable signals. Other applications include power supplies, battery charging circuits, and audio volume controls.