Solving Newtonian Mechanics: Find Expression for Speed v(t)

In summary, the boat's speed is slowed by the water by a force, F=-ke^(bv). The expression for speed v(t) is found by solving the equation for v(t), which is=-(1/b)e-bv0.
mindcircus
A boat with initial speed v is launched on a lake. The boat is slowed by the water by a force, F=-ke^(bv). Find the expression for speed v(t).

I've done the problem, but my answer seems too odd to be right...it may be my calculus.

I've drawn a FBD, with the normal force and weight cancelling each other out. The net force is the resisting force, F=-ke^(bv), which I've then set equal to F=ma. I've used dv/dt for a.

-ke^(bv)=m*(dv/dt)
Rearranging to get like terms together gives me
dv/(e^(bv))=-(k/m)dt
(e^-(bv))dv=-(k/m)dt
Setting up the integrand using limits 0 to t and initial v to v gives me:
-b((e^-(bv.initial))-(e^-(bv)))=-(k/m)t
Simplified to:
(kt/bm)=e^(v.initial/v)
ln (kt/bm)=(v.inital/v)
So, v=(v.initial)/ln(kt/bm)

The answer seems too messy...any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
As to the calculus:
How does
-b((e^-(bv.initial))-(e^-(bv)))=-(k/m)t
become
(kt/bm)=e^(v.initial/v)
?
You're saying that
e^(-bv) - e^(-bvi) = e^(-vi/v)
I don't think so.

But, this is not a calculus problem anyway. I tried correcting your integration but still ended up with a nonsensical result until I realized that we shouldn't be forming a differential equation out of that force expression -- that's already the solution to a differential equation. Now, all you have to do is put it into an equation to describe the velocity, a la
[tex]v(t) = v_0 + at[/tex]
If
[tex] f = ma[/tex]
then
[tex] a = \frac{f}{m} = -\frac{k}{m}e^{bv}[/tex]
So,
[tex]v(t) = v_0 - \frac{kt}{m}e^{bv}[/tex]

gnome, that's hardly a solution- you still have ebv on the right side.

mind circus, the only objection I have is that you have the integral of e-bv as -b-bv when it should be -(1/b)e-bv.

Integrating e-bvdv= (-k/m)dt, I get -(1/b)e-bv= (-k/m)t+ C. Taking v= v0 when t=0, C= (-1/b)e-bv0 so
e-bv= (bk/m)t+e-bv0 or
v(t)= -(1/b)ln((bk/m)t+ e-bv0)

gnome, that's hardly a solution- you still have e^(bv) on the right side.
Oops -- good point, Halls!

But, I just went digging through my trash (which tends to accumulate), and this
v(t)= -(1/b)ln((bk/m)t+ e-bv0)
is the same as the result I got, which I had rejected because I thought it was nonsensical. As t gets big, this v takes on ever-increasing negative values. This defies reason. Logically, v should tend to 0.

Actually, the expression for the force may be the problem. When v=0, F=-k, so the boat starts going backwards. F only approaches 0 asymptotically as v becomes a big enough negative number causing e^(bv) to approach 0.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Good point. I strongly suspect that the force function was
F=-ke(-bv). That is, that the exponential is negative, not positive.

1. What is Newtonian mechanics?

Newtonian mechanics, also known as classical mechanics, is a branch of physics that describes the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on Isaac Newton's laws of motion and is used to analyze the movement of objects on a macroscopic scale.

2. What is the equation for speed in Newtonian mechanics?

The equation for speed in Newtonian mechanics is v(t) = v0 + at, where v(t) is the speed at time t, v0 is the initial speed, and a is the acceleration.

3. How do you find the expression for speed in Newtonian mechanics?

To find the expression for speed in Newtonian mechanics, you need to use the equation v(t) = v0 + at and substitute in the given values for v0 (initial speed) and a (acceleration). This will give you the expression for speed in terms of time (t).

4. What are the units for speed in Newtonian mechanics?

The units for speed in Newtonian mechanics are meters per second (m/s). This is the standard unit for speed in the SI (International System of Units) system.

5. How is Newtonian mechanics used in real-world applications?

Newtonian mechanics is used in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and understanding the motion of celestial bodies. It is also used in engineering, robotics, and sports to improve performance and efficiency.