Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object

zenterix
Homework Statement
Refer to example 2 of section 8.6. Use the chain rule to write

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{ds}{dt}\frac{dv}{ds}=v\frac{dv}{ds}$$

and thus show that the differential equation in the example can be expressed as follows

$$\frac{ds}{dv}=\frac{bv}{c-v}$$

where ##b=m/k## and ##c=gm/k##. Integrate this equation to express ##s## in terms of ##v##. Check your result with the formulas for ##v## and ##s## derived in the example
Relevant Equations
The cited example 2 is a bit large to be shown here in all its steps.

Here are the main points and equations.

A body of mass ##m## is dropped from rest from a great height in the earth's atmosphere. Assume it falls in a straight line and that the only forces acting on it are the earth's gravitational attraction and a resisting force due to air resistance which is proportional to its velocity.

Newton's second law tells us

$$ma=mg-kv$$

where ##k## is some positive constant and ##-kv## is the force due to air resistance.

$$mv'=mg-kv$$

is a first-order equation in velocity ##v##.

We can write this in the form

$$v'+\frac{k}{m}v=g$$

which we can solve using an integrating factor to obtain (assuming v(0)=0)

$$v(t)=e^{-kt/m}\int_0^t ge^{ku/m}du=\frac{mg}{k}(1-e^{-kt/m})$$

we can differentiate to find acceleration

$$a(t)=ge^{-kt/m}$$

We can also integrate to obtain position

$$s(t)=\frac{mg}{k}t+\frac{gm^2}{k^2}e^{-kt/m}+C$$

and if ##s(0)=0## we have

$$s(t)=\frac{mg}{k}t+\frac{gm^2}{k^2}(e^{-kt/m}-1)$$
Here is my solution to this problem. Unfortunately, I can't check it because it is not contained in the solution manual.

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{ds}\frac{ds}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{ds}$$

$$\frac{ds}{dv}=\frac{v}{v'}=\frac{v}{ge^{-kt/m}}$$

$$=\frac{\frac{m}{k}v}{\frac{gm}{k}e^{-kt/m}}$$

$$=\frac{\frac{m}{k}v}{\frac{gm}{k}-\frac{gm}{k}+\frac{gm}{k}e^{-kt/m}}$$

$$=\frac{\frac{m}{k}v}{\frac{gm}{k}-\frac{gm}{k}(e^{-kt/m}-1)}$$

$$=\frac{bv}{c-v}$$

My main question is about the integration of this expression to obtain ##s## in terms of ##v##.

$$\int_0^v \frac{ds}{dv}dv=\int_{s(0)}^{s(v)} ds = s(v)-s(0)=\int_0^v\frac{bv}{c-v}dv$$

$$=bc(\ln{(c)}-\ln{(c-v)})-bv$$

$$s(v)=s(0)+bc(\ln{(c)}-\ln{(c-v)})-bv$$

I don't recall seeing this relationship very often and so I am not sure if this is correct. The problem says to check this result with the equations derived in the cited Example 2. But that example derived equations for ##v## and ##s## relative to ##t##. How would I go about using those equations to check my result of ##s## as a function of ##v##?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the intention is to derive the ODE as [tex]
ma = mv\frac{dv}{ds} = mg - kv[/tex] so that [tex]
\frac{ds}{dv} = \frac{mv}{mg - kv} = \frac{(m/k)v}{(mg/k) - v} = \frac{bv}{c - v}.[/tex] Note that the solution to the earlier exercise can be written in the form [tex]\begin{split}
v(t) &= c(1 - e^{-b/t}) \\
s(t) - s_0 &= ct - bv(t).\end{split}[/tex] To show that [tex]
s(v) - s_0 = bc\ln|c| - bv - bc\ln|c - v| = ct - bv = s(t) - s_0[/tex] the easiest way is to solve [itex]v(t)[/itex] for [itex]t[/itex] to obtain [tex]\begin{split}
e^{-t/b} &= \frac{c - v}{c} \\
t &= b\ln|c| - b\ln|c - v|.\end{split}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes zenterix
Attached are the full calculations leaving ##v_0## as a variable (just for added suffering with the algebra). Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out a way to post it directly here (file either too large or too low quality).

Attachments

• 8.7 - Physical Problems Leading to 1st Order LDE.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 39

1. What is the Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object?

The Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object is a mathematical problem that involves modeling the motion of a falling object using differential equations. The question typically asks for the differential equation that describes the motion of the object under the influence of gravity.

2. How do you solve the Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object?

To solve the Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object, you would typically start by setting up the differential equation based on the given information about the object's motion. Then, you would apply appropriate mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or integrating factors, to solve the differential equation and find the solution that describes the object's motion.

3. What are the key concepts involved in the Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object?

The key concepts involved in the Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object include understanding the forces acting on the object (such as gravity), modeling the object's motion using differential equations, and using mathematical techniques to solve the differential equation and find the solution that describes the object's motion.

4. Why is the Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object important?

The Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object is important because it helps students develop their understanding of differential equations and their applications in modeling real-world phenomena, such as the motion of falling objects. By solving this question, students can improve their problem-solving skills and deepen their knowledge of mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of the Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object. For example, understanding the differential equations that govern the motion of a falling object can be useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy for predicting the trajectory of objects in free fall and designing systems that involve falling objects, such as parachutes or projectiles.