Proving 22/7 > pi: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the purpose of proving 22/7 > pi is to demonstrate that the rational number 22/7 is a more accurate approximation of the irrational number pi than the commonly used 3.14. This proof is carried out using a geometric approach known as the inscribed polygon method, which involves inscribing a regular polygon inside a circle and comparing its perimeter to the circumference of the circle. The steps involved in this proof include drawing a circle, inscribing a regular polygon with increasing number of sides, calculating the perimeter, and showing that it is always greater than the circumference of the circle. This proof has significant practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, as it allows for more precise calculations involving pi. It
lazypast
Hi
Can someone show me from step one how to show that 22/7 is greater than pi. I don't really know how much I am asking here, but thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
lazypast said:
Hi
Can someone show me from step one how to show that 22/7 is greater than pi. I don't really know how much I am asking here, but thanks in advance

Try to construct a non-negative function whose integral on [0,1] is equal to 22/7 - pi. If the function is non-negative, then the integral has to be positive, which means 22/7 > pi.

1. What is the purpose of proving 22/7 > pi?

The purpose of proving 22/7 > pi is to show that the rational number 22/7 is a closer approximation to the irrational number pi than the commonly used approximation of 3.14. This can be useful in various fields of science and mathematics where precise calculations involving pi are needed.

2. How is the proof of 22/7 > pi carried out?

The proof involves using a geometric approach known as the inscribed polygon method. This method involves inscribing a regular polygon inside a circle and calculating its perimeter, which can then be compared to the circumference of the circle. By increasing the number of sides of the polygon, the approximation of pi becomes more accurate.

3. Can you explain the steps involved in the proof?

The steps involved in the proof include drawing a circle, inscribing a regular polygon with n sides inside the circle, calculating the perimeter of the polygon, and then comparing it to the circumference of the circle. This process is repeated with increasing values of n, leading to a more accurate approximation of pi. The final step is to show that the perimeter of the polygon with n sides is always greater than the circumference of the circle.

4. What is the significance of proving 22/7 > pi?

The significance of this proof lies in its practical applications. In fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, precise calculations involving pi are crucial. By using the more accurate approximation of 22/7, these calculations can be made more accurate, leading to better results and designs.

5. Is this proof universally accepted?

Yes, this proof is universally accepted as it is based on mathematical principles and has been verified by numerous mathematicians and scientists. It is a well-established fact that the rational number 22/7 is a closer approximation to pi than 3.14, and this proof provides a clear and logical explanation for this phenomenon.