Prove the irrationality of pi by contradiction

I think? I'm not really sure what I'm doing with this next step.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a reduction formula type question using the method of Integration by Parts (IBP). The original integral is transformed into a summation of derivatives of a function, and the conversation focuses on finding the sum of these derivatives. It is also mentioned that the sum is related to the value of the original integral. The conversation then moves on to discussing the second part of the problem, which involves showing that the integral is less than or equal to a specific value. Finally, the conversation mentions the ultimate goal of using this solution to prove the irrationality of pi.
I think I've confused myself too :oldlaugh:, since Wikipedia gives a slightly different rundown of this part of the proof. Ultimately the summation still becomes an integer, but they seem to say there are some more constant terms:

1589288046751.png

I'll need to read over this again, because it's giving me a headache 😁. I don't think we're too far off but there is perhaps a little bit left to this part of the proof.

Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried evaluating the 3rd derivative of ##x^4(\pi - x)^4## at ##x=0## and ##x=\pi## and I get zero on both counts, so I struggle to see what Wikipedia is trying to push here!

Likes Klystron and Delta2