I need info on Strings

by String Dreadnaught
Tags: info, strings
String Dreadnaught
Feb25-04, 05:58 PM
P: 2
I just recently started studying the string theory and I don't understand one major part. I can't find anything about what the strings exactly are. I think I have an idea from what I've read but I'm not sure. Now if anyone is considering answering this you have to know that I'm just a highschool student so if you could explain it in a way I would understand that would really help. I can usually catch on pretty quick but still if you could explain it in a simple way it would really help.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Haelfix
Feb26-04, 02:42 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,663
Not to discourage you from pursuing the subject, but its a little masochistic for a high school student to start studying string theory. Its jumping the gun a little bit =)

I was 3 grades ahead in high school, and had been doing math and physics competitively since I was a kid. However, even upon graduation I was many years shy of being able to even begin to talk about the subject in any way that would make sense.

For the best layman description, I suggest picking up Brian Greene's book the elegant universe, he talks about strings a little there.

Basically they are fundamental 1+ dimensional *things* who's vibrations are thought to be identified with the usual fundamental particles we see in the lab (neutrinos, electrons, quarks, etc)
String Dreadnaught
Feb26-04, 09:10 PM
P: 2
Well thank you for telling me but I'm fine the way it is. I like to study this kind of stuff and I understand everything thing that I've heard and read about it. I'm very intrested in it too. It not that hard. I mean it not like I'm trying to figure out something new, I'm just studing things that have already been stated. I recived the information I was looking for from my brother (He's in his senior year at the University of Chicago). He was able to ask some of his friends that were studing the Sting Theory there and I got what I was looking for and more. So anyway thanks for the advice but I'm going to keep looking into this. (But I will have to read this book also)

Register to reply