Register to reply

Simulating heat transfer as a function of time between two bodies

by Noone1982
Tags: bodies, function, heat, simulating, time, transfer
Share this thread:
Noone1982
Jan18-07, 10:30 PM
P: 83
This is not homework, so I think this is the right forum. I am trying to write a program that simulates the heat transfer between, say two cubes of different volumes, heat capacities and thermal resistances.

I know Newton's law of cooling just works dandy for say an object cooling in a fixed enviroment. My questions include: how does this extend to two bodies exchanging heat between boundaries of different thermal resistances?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
Claude Bile
Jan22-07, 06:50 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,474
Are the objects separated i.e. is there an air or vacuum layer between them?

Claude.
eaboujaoudeh
Feb23-07, 12:00 AM
P: 183
Well since u gonna write a program about it i will assume theres nothing in betweent the bodies and they are directly connected, so the driving force is conduction heat transfer. Assuming that A and B have thermal conductivity of ka and kb respectively. Ta and Tb are wall temperatures at each extremity. Total heat flow Q= (Tb-Ta)/(Ra+Rb)
Ra= Thickness of transport area/(ka*Cross sectional area).
Check the pic
Attached Thumbnails
conduction.JPG  

patitu
Jun13-07, 07:48 PM
P: 1
Simulating heat transfer as a function of time between two bodies

2 different but equally thick materials with thermal conductivities 0.5 W / mK and 3 W / mK are positioned one after another. the outer temperature on the side of the better insulator is 2ºC and 25ºC on the outside of the sencond insulator. what is the difference in temperatures at the contact between two materials if we exchange the positions of the insulators?
can u help me in this question?
Claude Bile
Jun19-07, 09:00 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,474
Patitu, you will probably have better luck if you post on the homework help forums.

Claude.

Register to reply