Calculating the heat loss of an open water tank (aquarium)

In summary, when it is winter and the water in the aquarium is higher in temperature than the surrounding air, the heat transfer goes from the inside of the tank towards the surroundings - so the aquarium loses heat. When it is summer and the water in the aquarium is lower in temperature than the surrounding air, the heat transfer goes from the surroundings to the water inside - so the aquarium gains heat.
Apgomes3
Hi,

I have been calculating a series of hypothesis for some aquariums/tanks situations, using heat transfer equations (conduction, convection, radiation, evaporation)

Typically we have aquariums that run at higher temperatures than the surroundings in winter and lower temperature than the surroundings at summer ... I stumble into a silly question in trying to establish the scenario

Question 1 is about Conductive heat transfer

When the conduction is in a horizontal plane between two different fluids ( in this case air and water) instead of using Fourier's law

Q= K.A (ΔT/L)

should I do it

Q = = U A dT where U , overall heat transfer coefficient (W/(m2K), captures the individual fluid (air and water) convection heat transfer coefficient

1 / U = 1 / hci + Σ (sn / kn) + 1 / hco Is this a correct way of thinking ? Because the following 2 scenarios then will be more accurate ?
A. When in winter - water is higher in temperature than surrounding air, the heat transfer goes from the inside of the tank towards the surroundings - so I consider a loss of heat.

B. When in summer - water is lower in temperature than surrounding air, the heat transfer goes from the surroundings to the water inside - so I consider a gain in heat.

Question 2 is about Convection heat transfer

Does the same principle above applies to the rationale ? So using Newton's Law of Cooling

Q = = Hc A dT, where dT is temperature difference between the surface and the bulk fluidI won't go into the details of calculating Hc_water (which is a all new thread...!) but my silly questions remains the same:

A. When in winter - water is higher in temperature than surrounding air:

so I consider the hot plane to be the superficial water film layer and the heat transfer is done from this layer to the surrounding air. I use here Hc_water ( convective heat coefficient of water). I consider a loss of heat ( regarding the aquarium)

B. When in summer - water is lower in temperature than surrounding air:

so I consider the hot plane to be the superficial air film layer and the heat transfer is done from this layer to water. I use here Hc_air ( convective heat coefficient of air). I consider a heat gain ( regarding the aquarium)This is not looking as correct to me ... but I couldn't get my head around to be more accurate would greatly appreciate inputs and ideasFor now I am only considering the convective heat transfer in the open top of the aquarium.

Science news on Phys.org
The main reason why the water cools is evaporation from the surface.
Evaporation is endothermic.
I think you should look into that.
Obviously the rate of evaporation depends on several things such as air humidity, whether there's a draft or not, size of the surface, temperature of water etc.

Likes vanhees71
Hi @Philip Koeck yes that is true; i am looking or trying to look past it as well so to compute in the losses or gain by conduction, convection and radiation and their role. I have all of that computed now. Evaporation is not linear to calculate in indoor situations when the surface is not calm but also found a good article detailing this known equations and their deviations so its at least a starting point. Typical evaporation is derived from an empirical equation that is accurate enough but for wind speeds above 2 m/s outdoor; indoor hvac is more around 0.15 m/s per some notes.

I do think it is an interesting exercise and sometimes i do need to challenge my logic so to say if i am following a coerent one!

Thank you for your input! Greatly appreciated

Likes Lnewqban and Philip Koeck

1. How do you calculate the heat loss of an open water tank?

To calculate the heat loss of an open water tank, you will need to know the surface area of the tank, the temperature difference between the water and the surrounding environment, and the thermal conductivity of the tank's material. You can then use the formula Q = UAΔT to calculate the heat loss, where Q is the heat loss in watts, U is the thermal conductivity of the tank's material, A is the surface area in square meters, and ΔT is the temperature difference in degrees Celsius.

2. What factors affect the heat loss of an open water tank?

The heat loss of an open water tank is affected by several factors, including the surface area of the tank, the temperature difference between the water and the surrounding environment, the thermal conductivity of the tank's material, and the presence of any insulation or covers on the tank. Other factors such as air flow and humidity can also impact heat loss.

3. How does the shape of an open water tank affect heat loss?

The shape of an open water tank can affect heat loss in two ways. First, the surface area of the tank will vary depending on its shape, and a larger surface area will result in greater heat loss. Second, the shape of the tank can impact air flow around the tank, which can also affect heat loss. For example, a tall and narrow tank may experience more heat loss than a short and wide tank due to differences in air flow.

4. Can you reduce the heat loss of an open water tank?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the heat loss of an open water tank. One option is to insulate the tank with materials such as foam or blankets to reduce heat transfer. Another option is to use a tank cover to reduce air flow and evaporation, which can also help retain heat. Additionally, maintaining a stable and consistent temperature in the surrounding environment can also help reduce heat loss.

5. How can I use the heat loss calculation to determine the appropriate heating system for my open water tank?

The heat loss calculation can help you determine the appropriate heating system for your open water tank by providing an estimate of the amount of heat needed to maintain a desired temperature. You can then compare this with the heating capacity of different systems to find the most suitable option for your tank. It is important to also consider factors such as energy efficiency and cost when selecting a heating system.