by malkio
Tags: aerosolsmist, compressed, removing
Share this thread:
malkio
Feb1-07, 02:36 AM
P: 11
Hello!
My process looks like this:
i've oil container with constant vacuum of 3-10 mbar for removing oil aerosols from container.that vacuum is produced by ejector(vacuum pump) down the line in which goes air at 6 bar.oil aerosols then together with air goes to atmosphere.
what i'm trying to do is remove that oil aerosols from stream and collect them at another container so i'have clean air going out and not losing oil.
-what's best or most common solution for that kind of problem?
-what type of filter or separator?
-is it better to put it before or after ejector?
-what 's the difference?

tnx
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules
CU-Boulder leads international unmanned aircraft testing event at Pawnee Grassland
Gesture-controlled, autonomous vehicles may be valuable helpers in logistics and trans-shipment centers
malkio
Feb1-07, 03:36 AM
maybe i've wrong said,what i'm trying to remove are oil vapours
Astronuc
Feb1-07, 06:28 AM
Admin
P: 21,866
Quote Quote by malkio View Post
what i'm trying to remove are oil vapours
Probably one would have to use a filter to collect the vapors, or chill the air with or without centrifugal filter.

FredGarvin
Feb1-07, 06:28 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Removing oil aerosols(mist) from compressed air

You will need a coelescing filter arrangement. They are usually used in tandem with a particulate filter.

Take a look here for examples:
http://www.wilkersoncorp.com/product/coalescing.html
Panda
Feb1-07, 07:44 AM
P: 220
If you are just trying to clean your exhaust gases then find a diving supplier and buy a compressor filter stack. These are designed to provide breathable air and in particular take oils out. The oil migrates to the bottom of the stack so you can can purge the stack periodically by closing the outlet and blowing it through a vent on the base.

Things to note:
The filter stack will need regular cleaning and periodic replacing dependent on the contamination levels and flow rates.

If you are trying to remove particulates smaller than the filters can handle with the required flow rates in order to get pure air you can use a compressor and condenser.

Basically take your vacuum output and put it through a compressor. When it is pressurized release it into a condensing chamber. The drop in pressure and hence temperature causes fluids to condense out and drop to the bottom of the condensing chamber.
The condensate traps solid particles as it forms, leaving you with extremly pure air, so pure it is difficult to breath as it dries your lungs up.

Things to note:
The output from you vacuum pump won't like being compressed. You will need to fill a vessel and then compress from that vessel.
You may need to seed the air with a small amount of water to get sufficient condensate to collect the oil vapour depending on relative humidity of the air in the cans.
You get an oil emulsion out the end which will be difficult to process.
malkio
Feb2-07, 02:39 AM
FredGarvin very helpful link,tnx to you and others too,
maybe i wrong explained problem at first,because i'm from non speaking english area so i'm bit confused with oil aerosol vs oil vapour,what's the difference?
i think i deal with oil vapour because oil just evaporate in container,don't going through some process
and what size are oil vapour droplets?as i understand from link FredGarvin give they are smaller then oil aerosol droplets but 0.003 sounds pretty small to me,i just need air free of oil for intake of air compressors
tnx

Register to reply