Borrowed a used Freddy Vacuum Cleaner for my CNC -- Need help with something!

• Thread starter kunalv
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a compressor air muffler in a Freddy Vacuum Cleaning System for removing floating hydraulic oil from coolant. The speaker built a U-shaped pickup to ensure only oil is collected and connected it to the vacuum suction hose with a tee and plugged the third port. The use of a muffler is believed to add more air to the liquid for the uphill run towards the vacuum chamber, preventing the oil from separating and running back down. It is also used to reduce noise caused by acoustic standing wave resonances in high-speed vacuum pipes. The speaker advises not to throw out the muffler until its purpose is fully understood.
kunalv
Hello, I have borrowed a Freddy Vacuum Cleaning System from a friend since I wanted to use it on my CNC. We used it for removing the floating hydraulic oil from the coolant surface but it also sucks a lot of good coolant.

We then started looking for Freddy videos and found this -
Why have they used what looks like a Compressor Air Muffler in the joint section? Untitled.png

We built a simple U shaped pickup and fixed it to the tank to ensure it only collects oil from the surface, and connected it to the Freddy's vacuum suction hose with a simple tee and plugged the third port of the tee Like this - Untitled1.png

It works fine but I would like to understand why a Muffler would be used in this.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
kunalv said:
It works fine but I would like to understand why a Muffler would be used in this.
My guess would be to add more air to the liquid, for the uphill run towards the vacuum chamber.

Viscous liquid will pool at the low-point of the vacuum hose. Adding metered air through that valve reduces the fluid density and increases the bulk velocity of the froth in the line, so the oil does not separate and run back down to the pool.

It may not often be needed, but when it is there it is available. Do not throw it out until you are certain you know why it was there, and what exception it handled.

Likes sophiecentaur
Just like exhaust pipes, high-speed vacuum pipes will have acoustic standing wave resonances that a muffler will reduce the noise. This is more prominent (Q) when a solid section of pipe is used. I once tried a long vacuum hose on my '63 MGB as a kid with no muffler which led me to an understanding of resonance as a kid. Cars often have two mufflers, one called a resonator, the other a baffle.

1. What is a CNC machine and what is its purpose?

A CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machine is a computer-controlled manufacturing tool that uses pre-programmed software to control the movement of machinery and tools. Its purpose is to automate and improve the precision of various manufacturing processes.

2. How does a Freddy Vacuum Cleaner help with a CNC machine?

A Freddy Vacuum Cleaner is a specialized vacuum designed for industrial use. It helps with a CNC machine by removing debris, dust, and other particles that can interfere with the machine's accuracy and performance.

3. Can a used Freddy Vacuum Cleaner still be effective?

Yes, a used Freddy Vacuum Cleaner can still be effective as long as it is in good working condition. However, it is important to check for any damage or wear and tear before using it to ensure optimal performance.

4. What should I do if I need help with my borrowed Freddy Vacuum Cleaner?

If you need help with your borrowed Freddy Vacuum Cleaner, you can refer to the user manual or contact the manufacturer for assistance. You can also reach out to the person who lent you the vacuum for guidance or troubleshooting tips.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a Freddy Vacuum Cleaner with my CNC machine?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions recommended by the manufacturer when using a Freddy Vacuum Cleaner with a CNC machine. This may include wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, and ensuring the vacuum is turned off and unplugged before cleaning or maintenance.