A Rather Simple Freefall Question

• Thread starter Arepo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freefall
In summary, this person attempted to calculate how long it takes for a person to fall 4000 feet if their terminal velocity is 120 ft/s, and they were not able to come up with an answer that was very close to the real answer. They suggest that the real answer would be around 17.3 seconds, which would be 2-3 seconds longer than the theoretical value.
Arepo
Alright, well I haven't taken physics yet, so I set out to try and figure this problem out on myself. And the problem was, how long does it take for a person to fall 4000 feet if their terminal velocity is 120?

Here is my process of thought to get the answer... Please correct me when I'm wrong (I know I am)

Height = 4000 feet
Increase rate per second = 32.15 feet
Terminal Velocity = 120 mph = 176 feet per second

So to determine how long it takes to get to terminal velocity...

176 / 32.15 = 5.42 seconds to reach TV
(Or is it 176 / 9.8 squared?)

4000 - 176 = 3824 feet left

3824 / 176 = 21.72 seconds to travel that distance at TV

So 21.72 + 5.42 = 27.14 seconds to fall that distance.

I doubt I am right, but it all seems logical and if I messed up, please correct me, thanks a ton!

Edit: Extremely sorry for not posting it in the homework section...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arepo said:
Alright, well I haven't taken physics yet, so I set out to try and figure this problem out on myself. And the problem was, how long does it take for a person to fall 4000 feet if their terminal velocity is 120?

Here is my process of thought to get the answer... Please correct me when I'm wrong (I know I am)

Height = 4000 feet
Increase rate per second = 32.15 feet
Terminal Velocity = 120 mph = 176 feet per second

So to determine how long it takes to get to terminal velocity...

176 / 32.15 = 5.42 seconds to reach TV
(Or is it 176 / 9.8 squared?)

You're good up to here.

Arepo said:
4000 - 176 = 3824 feet left

Now look at your units here... 176 is ft/s. You can't subtract a velocity from a distance. You need to do 176 * 5.42, and you end up with ft., which is ~954. Then you can do 4000 - 954 = 3046 ft left.

Arepo said:
3824 / 176 = 21.72 seconds to travel that distance at TV

So 21.72 + 5.42 = 27.14 seconds to fall that distance.

I doubt I am right, but it all seems logical and if I messed up, please correct me, thanks a ton!

Edit: Extremely sorry for not posting it in the homework section...

So just correcting that distance, you get...

3046 / 176 = 17.3 seconds falling @ TV

17.3 + 5.42 = 22.72 seconds total

However... this probably wouldn't be very close to the real answer (assuming that the terminal velocity of a human IS 120 ft/s, and they stay perfectly still and rigid) because as you go faster, you experience more air resistance. As you near terminal velocity, your acceleration gradually diminishes. I'm not sure of an exact formula, air resistance isn't until next chapter!

Hope this helps :)

You can also look at the section of the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015 "Basic Equations of 1-D kinematics" for equations useful in solving this problem.

"Increase rate per second = 32.15 feet"

Note: this is acceleration, and it expressed in the units of ft/s/s.

Excellent! Thanks man!

But just curious, if you did factor in air resistance roughly what would it be? If you don't feel like doing it, that's fine, the help you provided was adequate.

I wish I could tell you, but I haven't learned how to yet. I won't know how to for another week or so. Air resistance starts next chapter. In order to calculate air resistance, we'd need a lot more information (drag coefficient, cross-sectional area, etc). My guess is that it would probably take about 2-3 seconds longer than our theoretical value, but that's just a guess.

K, but thanks anyways. I guess I'll just have to wait until I take Physics next year! ^_^

1. What is a freefall?

A freefall is a physical phenomenon in which an object falls under the sole influence of gravity. It is a state of motion in which the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the speed of an object in freefall?

The speed of an object in freefall is affected by the object's mass and the force of gravity. A larger mass will experience a greater force of gravity, resulting in a higher speed of freefall. Additionally, the air resistance or drag can also affect the speed of an object in freefall.

3. How does the height of an object affect its freefall?

The height of an object does not affect its freefall. In a vacuum, all objects of different heights will fall at the same rate due to gravity. However, in the presence of air resistance, objects with a larger height will have more time to accelerate, resulting in a slightly higher speed of freefall.

4. Can an object experience freefall on Earth?

Yes, an object can experience freefall on Earth. As long as an object is only acted upon by the force of gravity, it will be in freefall. For example, when jumping off a diving board or skydiving, an object is in freefall until it reaches the ground.

5. How is freefall related to the concept of weightlessness?

Weightlessness is the sensation of having little or no weight due to the absence of external forces, such as gravity. Freefall is often associated with weightlessness because an object in freefall experiences a state of apparent weightlessness since the forces of gravity and air resistance are balanced. However, weightlessness can also occur in other scenarios, such as when orbiting the Earth.