Determine the largest current the generator can produce

In summary, we have a 120-V generator powered by a windmill with 2.0 m long blades. The wind, initially moving at 12 m/s, is slowed to 7.0 m/s after passing through the windmill. With a density of 1.29 kg/m3 and no losses in the system, the largest current the generator can produce is 2.1 amps. This is determined by calculating the change in kinetic energy of the wind and using the equation for power associated with moving air, which involves the diameter of the cross section. The correct equation is P = (1/8)(density)(pi)(diameter)^2(velocity)^3.
Vladi

Homework Statement

A 120-V generator is run by a windmill that has blades 2.0 m long. The wind, moving at 12 m/ s, is slowed to 7.0 m/ s after passing the windmill. The density of air is 1.29 kg/ m3. If the system has no losses, what is the largest current the generator can produce? [Hint: How much energy does the wind lose per second?]

Homework Equations

P=(1/8)(density)(pi)(diameter)^2(v)^3
P=(V)(I)
Speed=Distance/Time

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to figure out the speed of the windmill. Can I determine the speed of the windmill by figuring out how much time it takes to change the speed of the wind? I want to make sure my logic is correct.
img030.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Vladi said:
I need to figure out the speed of the windmill
Actually, you don't. The problem says the system has no losses so the change in the kinetic energy of the wind is the energy that the generator will produce.

Ahh.
NFuller said:
Actually, you don't. The problem says the system has no losses so the change in the kinetic energy of the wind is the energy that the generator will produce.
You're saying that the wind turbine converted the wind's kinetic energy into electrical energy, which makes perfect sense. The wind is spinning the blades after all. Does this mean that I must include the change in velocity within the equation?
(1/8)(1.29 kg/m^3)(pi)(2 m)^2(12 m/s-7 m/s)^3=120 volts*(I)
---->I=2.1 Amps
The largest current the generator can produce is 2.1 amps.

Vladi said:
You're saying that the wind turbine converted the wind's kinetic energy into electrical energy, which makes perfect sense. The wind is spinning the blades after all. Does this mean that I must include the change in velocity within the equation?
(1/8)(1.29 kg/m^3)(pi)(2 m)^2(12 m/s-7 m/s)^3=120 volts*(I)
---->I=2.1 Amps
Almost. Consider the power of the wind before and after it encounters the blades separately; don't just take the velocity difference. That is, ##(V_1^3 - V_2^3) \ne (V_1 - V_2)^3##.

Also, your relevant equation for the power associated with the moving air uses the diameter of the cross section. You're given the individual blade length. Is the blade length the same as the diameter of the area swept out by the blades?

Likes Asymptotic
gneill said:
Almost. Consider the power of the wind before and after it encounters the blades separately; don't just take the velocity difference. That is, ##(V_1^3 - V_2^3) \ne (V_1 - V_2)^3##.

Also, your relevant equation for the power associated with the moving air uses the diameter of the cross section. You're given the individual blade length. Is the blade length the same as the diameter of the area swept out by the blades?
You're saying the diameter should be 4 meters. I shouldn't be using the radius.
I got the equation from the following derivation:
P = 1/2 ρ A v^3 = (1/8)(p)(pi)(d)^2(v)^3
33.16.jpg

Yes, this looks right.

Likes Vladi
NFuller said:
Yes, this looks right.
Thank you for all your help.

I still not
NFuller said:
Yes, this looks right.
I still not get it wright sir, I will be glad if you can elaborate it more

I still not
NFuller said:
Yes, this looks right.
I still not get it wright sir, I will be glad if you can elaborate it mo

1. What is a generator?

A generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works by using a magnet and a coil of wire to create an electric current.

2. How do you determine the largest current a generator can produce?

The largest current a generator can produce is determined by its maximum power output, which is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field and the speed at which the coil of wire is rotating. A higher speed and stronger magnetic field will result in a larger current output.

3. What factors affect the maximum current a generator can produce?

The maximum current a generator can produce is affected by several factors, including the size and strength of the magnet, the number of turns in the coil of wire, the speed at which the coil is rotating, and the resistance of the circuit the current is flowing through.

4. Can a generator produce an unlimited amount of current?

No, a generator has a maximum current output that is limited by its design and the factors mentioned above. Once it reaches its maximum output, it will not be able to produce any more current.

5. How is the maximum current of a generator measured?

The maximum current of a generator is typically measured in amperes (A). This can be done by using a multimeter or an ammeter, which is connected to the circuit to measure the current flowing through it.