Proving that MN is Parallel to AB and CD

• Thread starter Styx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
Q and R.In summary, AB and CD are parallel and M and N are the midpoints of AD and BC. By drawing perpendicular lines from the midpoints of AB and CD, it can be shown that MN is parallel to AB and CD. Therefore, MN is parallel to both AB and CD, proving the hypothesis that MN is parallel to AB and CD. Additionally, by marking the midpoints of AO and BP, it can be shown that MN is also equal to half the sum of AB and CD.
Styx
Lines AB and CD are parallel. You are given M and N as midpoints of AD and BC, respectively.

Prove that MN is parallel to AB and CD

Ok, so I think I way (WAY) over complicated this. Can someone please suggest a shorter route to my answer? The worst part is that even after working out this own mess below I think my proof is half baked at best...

:eek: Work:eek:

Draw a perpendicular line from the midpoint of AB to line CD.
Draw a perpendicular line from the midpoint of CD to line AB.
The two lines overlap
Therefore, angles AQP, BQP, DPQ, CPQ are 90 degrees.

point Q is what I gave the midpoint of AB, P is the midpoint of DP and Point O is where AC and DB intercept

Draw a line from point B to point D, and from point A to Point C.
Consider triangles AQO and BQO
AQ = BQ since Q is at the midpoint between AB
angle AQO and angle BQO are both right angles
QO = QO (common to both triangles)
Therefore, triangles AQO and BQO are congruent as per the SAS condition of the triangle congruence theorm.

The same consideration can be applied to DPO and CPO to show that they are congruent as per the SAS condition of a triangle.

180 degrees - angle AOB = angle DOA
180 degrees - angle AOB = angle COB
Therefore, angle DOA = angle COB

AO = BO, DO = CO
Therfore, Triangles COB and DOA are congruent as per the SAS condition of a triangle.

AD = BC, AM = MD, BN = NC
Therefore, AM = MD = BN = NC

MN can only meet this conditions if it is a parallel line.
Therefore, MN is parallel to AB and DC

I am kind of unclear as to what I have to prove and what I can take for granted when I am working on these so I attempt to prove everything under the sun.

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I just used Geometer's Sketchpad (great program btw) which disproved my first assumption that angles AQP, BQP, DPQ, CPQ are 90 degrees.

So, I guess I will start over...

Part B) States: Prove that MN =(1/2)(AB+CD) which I know is true as per Sketch pad. Can I use that in solving part a) or is that considered bad form?

The only thing I know for sure (other that what was given is that angle ABD = angle BDC, angle BAC = angle ACD

Last edited:
I rewrote my proof as:

AB and CD are parallel and M and N are the midpoints of AD and BC (given hypothesis).

Draw a perpendicular line from point B to line DC.
Draw a perpendicular line from point A to line DC.
Label them points O and P.
Since AO and BP are both perpendicular lines between the same two parallel lines AO = BP

Mark the midpoint of AO and BP, label them Q and R
Both points Q and R fall on line MN
Therefore, MN is parallel to AB and CD

1. How do you prove that MN is parallel to AB and CD?

To prove that MN is parallel to AB and CD, you can use one of the following methods:

• Using the corresponding angles theorem: If the corresponding angles formed by MN and AB, or MN and CD, are equal, then MN is parallel to AB and CD.
  • Using the alternate interior angles theorem: If the alternate interior angles formed by MN and CD, or MN and AB, are equal, then MN is parallel to AB and CD.
  • Using the slope method: If the slope of MN is equal to the slope of AB and CD, then MN is parallel to AB and CD.

2. What is the corresponding angles theorem?

The corresponding angles theorem states that if two parallel lines are intersected by a transversal, the corresponding angles formed by the two lines and the transversal are equal.

3. How do I find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line can be found by using the formula: m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are any two points on the line. Alternatively, you can also use the rise over run method, where the slope is the ratio of the change in vertical distance (rise) to the change in horizontal distance (run).

4. Can MN be parallel to AB and CD if they intersect at a point?

No, if MN is parallel to AB and CD, then they do not intersect at a point. Two lines are parallel if they never intersect, meaning they do not share a common point.

5. Is the slope method the most accurate way to prove parallel lines?

No, the slope method is not the most accurate way to prove parallel lines. The most accurate way is to use the corresponding angles theorem or the alternate interior angles theorem, which are based on the properties of parallel lines and angles.