Proving the Existence of a Midpoint on Every Segment | Segment Midpoint Theorem

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove that every segment has a midpoint by constructing an equilateral triangle and using the angle bisector theorem. Issues arise regarding the possibility of the angle bisector not intersecting the segment and the difficulty of proving that the midpoint is between the two endpoints. The discussion also mentions the proposed use of recently proven theorems instead of relying on drawing circles.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Prove that every segment has a midpoint.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first began with some arbitrary segment ##AB## in the plane, and then constructed the line ##\overset{\leftrightarrow}{AB} = \ell## from these two points. I then used the theorem which states that, given two points ##A## and ##B## on a line, there exists a point ##C## not on the line such that ##\triangle ACB## is an equilateral triangle. I then was going to use the angle bisector theorem to form a bisector which would intersect the segment ##AB## at a point ##D##. Using the side-side-side criterion of a triangle, I could conclude that ##AD \cong DB##.

However, there are few issues with this. Firstly, how do I know the angle bisector will intersect the segment ##AB##; why is it not possible that the angle bisector ##\overrightarrow{CD}## to curve and loop around in such a way that it never intersects the segment ##AB## nor the line ##\ell##? Secondly, even if it does intersect ##\ell##, how do I know that ##D## is between ##A## and ##B##

For the second issue, I tried a proof by contradiction, but I couldn't identify any contradiction.
midpoint.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I first began with some arbitrary segment ##AB## in the plane, and then constructed the line ##\overset{\leftrightarrow}{AB} = \ell## from these two points. I then used the theorem which states that, given two points ##A## and ##B## on a line, there exists a point ##C## not on the line such that ##\triangle ACB## is an equilateral triangle. I then was going to use the angle bisector theorem to form a bisector which would intersect the segment ##AB## at a point ##D##. Using the side-side-side criterion of a triangle, I could conclude that ##AD \cong DB##.

However, there are few issues with this. Firstly, how do I know the angle bisector will intersect the segment ##AB##; why is it not possible that the angle bisector ##\overrightarrow{CD}## to curve and loop around in such a way that it never intersects the segment ##AB# nor the line ##\ell##? Secondly, even if it does intersect ##\ell##, how do I know that ##D## is between ##A## and ##B##

The bisector of an angle is a ray which extends from the apex of the angle to infinity. By definition, a ray is a line, without any loops or whorls in it.

http://www.mathopenref.com/ray.html

Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

However, there are few issues with this. Firstly, how do I know the angle bisector will intersect the segment ##AB##; why is it not possible that the angle bisector ##\overrightarrow{CD}## to curve and loop around in such a way that it never intersects the segment ##AB## nor the line ##\ell##? Secondly, even if it does intersect ##\ell##, how do I know that ##D## is between ##A## and ##B##

For the second issue, I tried a proof by contradiction, but I couldn't identify any contradiction.View attachment 89701

What is wrong with the standard construction, as in http://www.mathopenref.com/constbisectline.html ?

SteamKing said:
The bisector of an angle is a ray which extends from the apex of the angle to infinity. By definition, a ray is a line, without any loops or whorls in it.

http://www.mathopenref.com/ray.html

That seems to be a rather vague definition. The definition I am using is the following: Let ##A## and ##B## be two points. The ray starting at ##A## and going through ##B## is the set of all points ##X## such that either (1) ##X## is ##A## or ##B##, (2) ##X## is between ##A## and ##B##, or ##B## is between ##A## and ##X##. Notice, such a definition does not mention infinity and does not preclude the possibility of loops and curves.

Ray Vickson said:
What is wrong with the standard construction, as in http://www.mathopenref.com/constbisectline.html ?

Well, it is proposed by our professor that we try to rely on recently proven theorems, such as being able to construct an equilateral triangle from three points, rather than always resorting to drawing circles.

Bashyboy said:
That seems to be a rather vague definition. The definition I am using is the following: Let ##A## and ##B## be two points. The ray starting at ##A## and going through ##B## is the set of all points ##X## such that either (1) ##X## is ##A## or ##B##, (2) ##X## is between ##A## and ##B##, or ##B## is between ##A## and ##X##. Notice, such a definition does not mention infinity and does not preclude the possibility of loops and curves.
How do you get that it doesn't preclude the possibility of loops and curls? For instance, if the ray loops or curls between A and B, then there will be points on the curve that aren't between A and B. Between means a point is on the line segment connecting A and B, not that it's on any old curve that passes through A and B.

1. How do we define a midpoint on a line segment?

A midpoint on a line segment is the point that divides the segment into two equal parts. It is equidistant from both endpoints of the segment.

2. What is the Segment Midpoint Theorem?

The Segment Midpoint Theorem states that every line segment has a midpoint. This means that for any given line segment, there exists a point that divides it into two equal parts.

3. How do we prove the existence of a midpoint on every segment?

The existence of a midpoint on every segment can be proven using the Segment Midpoint Theorem. This theorem is based on the concept of equal distances and can be proven using axioms and postulates of geometry.

4. Can we find the midpoint of a segment using any two points on the segment?

Yes, the midpoint of a segment can be found by using any two points on the segment. This is because the midpoint is always equidistant from both endpoints of the segment, regardless of the points chosen.

5. Why is the existence of a midpoint important in geometry?

The existence of a midpoint is important in geometry because it is a fundamental concept that allows us to divide a line segment into two equal parts. This, in turn, helps us in various geometric constructions and proofs.