Neutron Stars

by madphysics
Tags: neutron, stars
madphysics
May8-07, 11:00 AM
P: 60
Hi guys, I'm not to great at physics and all but I want to learn more. I hope you guys can help me in that aspect.First of all, how do neutron stars form? I was told their electrons shrink into their nucleuses and therefore the whole star shrinks, but what causes the atoms to behave like that?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Internet co-creator Cerf debunks 'myth' that US runs it
Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in Hubble archive
Solar-powered two-seat Sunseeker airplane has progress report
mgb_phys
May8-07, 02:17 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
Gravity.

Stars are balanced between gravity trying to squeeze everything together and some outward pressure trying to push it apart.
When a star runs out of fuel, ie. ends up being made of stuff that dones't give off enough energy in a fussion, there is no outward radiation pressure to push the stuff apart.
In neutron stars the pressure to keep them up comes from degeneracy pressure - basically the neutrons can't be pressed together any tighter.
If the star's gravity is big enough to overcome this it becomes a black hole.
madphysics
May8-07, 02:41 PM
P: 60
What is the outward pressure? It's not inertia like planets. Is it the process of fusion?

russ_watters
May8-07, 02:57 PM
Mentor
P: 22,010

Neutron Stars

You got it - heat from fusion keeps the star from imploding....until the fuel runs out.
Astronuc
May9-07, 07:29 AM
Admin
P: 21,637
This might be of interest -

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/l...n/neutron.html

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/l...egenerate.html
malawi_glenn
May19-07, 03:44 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,739
Quote Quote by madphysics View Post
What is the outward pressure? It's not inertia like planets. Is it the process of fusion?
The outward "pressure" is the Pauli principle
natski
May20-07, 09:32 AM
P: 266
The outward pressure is neutron degeneracy pressure. Electron degeneracy pressure is what stops white dwarfs collapsing in but when this is less than the gravitational pressure, inverse beta decay creates neutrons. Neutron stars generally have a radius of (electron mass/proton mass)*white dwarf radius which turns out to be tiny, something like 10km!

Collapse is nothing to do with heat from fusion. Even if the heat from a stable neutron star had run out and it reached a few K, it would not collapse because the degeneracy pressure is not a function of temperature. The only way to make a stable neutron star tip over the edge to a black hole is by accretion from another object like a second star in a binary system.

Register to reply