how to find reactions at supports

by shaheryarbhatti
Tags: reactions, supports
shaheryarbhatti
May16-07, 10:02 AM
P: 11
In my question i have a square cloth piece of dimension 8m*8m and the mass per area of the cloth is 0.5kg/m^2 .I need to find the reactions at 4 supports.IN first case Cloth is attached in such a way that first i attach one corner to one support then the other corner which is on a diagonal to the first corner is attached.For this situation i have to find the Reactions at the 2 supports.Then for the second case when the remaingin two corners are also attached in the same way as the first two were attached i need to calculate the reactions at all four corners.

IN both cases when there is a sag of 250mm in the middle of the cloth.

the situation is described in pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
image.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
PhanthomJay
May16-07, 01:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 5,963
Quote Quote by shaheryarbhatti View Post
In my question i have a square cloth piece of dimension 8m*8m and the mass per area of the cloth is 0.5kg/m^2 .I need to find the reactions at 4 supports.IN first case Cloth is attached in such a way that first i attach one corner to one support then the other corner which is on a diagonal to the first corner is attached.For this situation i have to find the Reactions at the 2 supports.Then for the second case when the remaingin two corners are also attached in the same way as the first two were attached i need to calculate the reactions at all four corners.

IN both cases when there is a sag of 250mm in the middle of the cloth.

the situation is described in pictures attached.
The catenary equations are too tough for me to handle, so i've always used a parabolic approximation of the catenary with good results when the sag is just a few percent of the span. For the 2 support case, the vertical reactions will be just 1/2 apiece of the total cloth weight. What attempt have you made to calculate the tensions at the support?
shaheryarbhatti
May16-07, 07:50 PM
well i have applied the follwoing principle and equations described in link http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/catenary.htm over the first case but i am totally unsure abt the second case.

PhanthomJay
May16-07, 08:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold

how to find reactions at supports

well i have applied the follwoing principle and equations described in link http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/catenary.htm over the first case but i am totally unsure abt the second case.
OK, you should compare the results of the catenary equation for the horizontal tension (if you did it that way) with the parabolic approximation, T=wL^2/8D, where w is the unit weight of the cloth per foot across the diagonal, L is the diagonal measure, 8 is itself, and D is the mid-point sag. Now for the 4 support case, each vertical reaction would be 1/4th the total cloth weight. As for the tension at each of the 4 supports, with the midpoint deflection staying the same, I'd just take an educated guess from symmetry and call each tension equal to 1/2 the former result, directed radially outward at the supports, but don't hold me to it.
shaheryarbhatti
May17-07, 02:46 AM
Quote Quote by PhanthomJay View Post
OK, you should compare the results of the catenary equation for the horizontal tension (if you did it that way) with the parabolic approximation, T=wL^2/8D, where w is the unit weight of the cloth per foot across the diagonal, L is the diagonal measure, 8 is itself, and D is the mid-point sag. Now for the 4 support case, each vertical reaction would be 1/4th the total cloth weight. As for the tension at each of the 4 supports, with the midpoint deflection staying the same, I'd just take an educated guess from symmetry and call each tension equal to 1/2 the former result, directed radially outward at the supports, but don't hold me to it.
Hahaha thanx for a symmetrical idea man.Well i think its not possible if we divide the solution for case 1 by 2 to find the solutoin for tension in case 2.Still more solutions are welcomed.
PhanthomJay
May17-07, 05:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Hahaha thanx for a symmetrical idea man.Well i think its not possible if we divide the solution for case 1 by 2 to find the solutoin for tension in case 2.
And why not? Do you agree that for the 4 point case, the vertical load will be supported equally at each support, and equal to 1/4 the cloth weight vertically at each support? And therefore 1/2 the value of the 2 point support case vertical reaction? And that the tension at each of the 4 supports, whatever it might be, must be equal in magnitude at each support?
shaheryarbhatti
May17-07, 10:28 PM
Quote Quote by PhanthomJay View Post
And why not? Do you agree that for the 4 point case, the vertical load will be supported equally at each support, and equal to 1/4 the cloth weight vertically at each support? And therefore 1/2 the value of the 2 point support case vertical reaction? And that the tension at each of the 4 supports, whatever it might be, must be equal in magnitude at each support?
Yeah man it is sensible but i have to confirm this with my lecturer lets see what he says about it.I am going to check with him today hope he co-operates.Thanx for help man

Register to reply