Finding magnitude and direction of reaction force

In summary, the problem involves a uniform horizontal rod of mass 4 kg and length 500 mm, hinged at the left hand side and supported by a chain (S) attached 10 cm from the hinge. The task is to calculate the reaction force on the rod at the hinge and state the principle used to solve the problem. The suggested method is to resolve the system into two vector components and find the resultant. However, the point about which moments are taken is not specified. The information on the virtual learning environment mentions that all necessary information is in the statics and materials document, but it is not clear which information should be applied to this specific example.
SpiraRoam

Homework Statement

A uniform horizontal rod of mass 4 kg and length 500 mm, is hinged at the left hand side and supported at rest by a chain (S) attached 10 cm from the hinge.

upload_2017-4-17_21-41-54.png

Calculate the magnitude and direction of the reaction force on the rod at the hinge. State the principle you have used in solving this problem.

Homework Equations

upload_2017-4-17_21-40-25.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially I thought it was the principle of moments but it can't be as it's all one sided. Unless there's a moment from the top of the chain to R. It's probably resolving the system into two vector components and then finding the resultant from that but I'm not sure how.

I think that would be the right method?

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-17_21-30-7.png
    upload_2017-4-17_21-30-7.png
    630 bytes · Views: 664
Physics news on Phys.org
Day3091 said:
Initially I thought it was the principle of moments but it can't be as it's all one sided.
That would depend on the point about which you are taking moments. Since the situation is static, any point should do.

Suppose the hinge weren't there but the chain remained in place. About which point would the rod pivot?

The information on the virtual learning environment for my college says that all of the necessary information is in the statics and materials document. It doesn't specify anything to do with this particular example though, or perhaps I'm not able to discern what to take and apply from it. It's just talking about pin jointed systems and the likes :/

I'm really not that good at Engineering. ?:) Struggling with a lot of it.

1. What is the reaction force?

The reaction force is a force that is exerted by an object in response to another force acting upon it. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the applied force, according to Newton's Third Law of Motion.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a reaction force?

To find the magnitude of a reaction force, you need to first identify the applied force and the object that is experiencing the reaction force. Then, use the formula F = ma (force = mass x acceleration) to calculate the magnitude of the reaction force.

3. What factors influence the direction of a reaction force?

The direction of a reaction force is influenced by the direction of the applied force, the location of the force relative to the object, and the shape and orientation of the object itself. For example, if the applied force is perpendicular to the surface of the object, the reaction force will be in the opposite direction, along the surface of the object.

4. How is the direction of a reaction force represented?

The direction of a reaction force is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the applied force. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force.

5. Why is it important to find the magnitude and direction of a reaction force?

Knowing the magnitude and direction of a reaction force is important in understanding the overall forces acting on an object. It can help determine the stability and equilibrium of the object, as well as provide insight into the cause and effect of different forces. This information is crucial in fields such as engineering and physics.