Buzzing Noise From Laptop Speakers

by sanitykey
Tags: buzzing, laptop, noise, speakers
sanitykey
May18-07, 09:03 AM
P: 93
Hi, whenever i play sound using the laptop speakers i get a buzzing noise which gets louder with louder sounds. It sounds like a motor (but i couldn't hear anything loose rattling about) anyway when i plugged in some speakers the sound was fine and when i took them out the buzzing was still there so i think it's something to do with the laptop speakers but i'm not sure what...

I read somewhere after googling it might be something to do with the sound card being loose in the slot or something...would that explain it? Even though external speakers worked?

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Richy
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
NoTime
May18-07, 10:38 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,572
If it works ok with external speakers and no external amplifier then most likely the internal speakers are defective.
Could be a warped or partially separated voice coil in the speaker itself.
In this case if the laptop has stereo speakers the buzz will likely come from just one of the speakers not both.

If you are using the line out jack with an external amp there could be problems wiht the internal amp, particuarly if the buzz comes from both speakers.

Unlikely to be something physically loose.
sanitykey
May18-07, 11:33 AM
P: 93
Oh i think i was using an amplifier actually i plugged in the soundstation logic 3speaker set here's a picture: http://www.ponuda.com/images/258/log...ndstation3.jpg

The buzzing seemed to only be coming from the right laptop speaker, thanks for the information.

chroot
May18-07, 01:54 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424

Buzzing Noise From Laptop Speakers

Yep. Sounds like you've got a blown speaker.

- Warren
ukmicky
May18-07, 02:44 PM
P: 125
yes there could be something loose inside or a broken speaker but have you tried a simple driver update or tried reinstalling the software which controls the laptops sound reproduction. Its amazing what a dodgy driver or piece of software can do.
NoTime
May18-07, 08:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,572
Quote Quote by ukmicky View Post
yes there could be something loose inside or a broken speaker but have you tried a simple driver update or tried reinstalling the software which controls the laptops sound reproduction. Its amazing what a dodgy driver or piece of software can do.
If you get good sound thru the output jack then the drivers are ok.

Register to reply