Magnitude of charge

by bidhati
Tags: charge, magnitude
Share this thread:
bidhati
Jun5-07, 05:18 AM
P: 9
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two charges Q1 and Q2 of equal magnitude but opposite signs are fixed a distance 5.00 m apart in a vacuum The line PQ is a 12.0 cm section of the line joining the two charges and is placed centrally between them. Over the distance PQ the electric field may be taken to be uniform. An electron is released, with negligible initial speed, from point P at time t = 0. At t = 1.00 10−2 s the electron is observed to pass point Q. Determine the magnitude and sign of both Q1 and Q2

2. Relevant equations

Fel = 1/ 4 pi E q1q2 / r^2
a = 2s / t^2

3. The attempt at a solution
well basically I think I need another equation to combine with coulomb's law so I can make Q the subject and thus find the magnitude of charge.

I know that Fel is inversely proportional to r^2 and that if I find Q I just need to halve the value as both charges are equal.
as for the last part of the question electron = - so Q2 = + and thus Q1 = -

obviously there is something I am missing here a helpful pointer please?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Amith2006
Jun5-07, 07:52 AM
P: 423
I think u need find the change in electrostatic P.E as it moves from P to Qwhich will give an equation in q. Equate this to the kinetic energy gained. Hope this helps.
chaoseverlasting
Jun5-07, 01:39 PM
P: 1,017
Well, the electric field changes with time... as the charges are of opposite signs, they will accelerate towards each other and hence the magnitude of the field will change... You need to find the change in the field and then calculate the variable force on the electron.

Amith2006
Jun6-07, 10:21 AM
P: 423
Magnitude of charge

Quote Quote by chaoseverlasting View Post
Well, the electric field changes with time... as the charges are of opposite signs, they will accelerate towards each other and hence the magnitude of the field will change... You need to find the change in the field and then calculate the variable force on the electron.
The electric field is uniform along the length PQ.
f(x)
Jun6-07, 11:21 AM
P: 183
Quote Quote by bidhati View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two charges Q1 and Q2 of equal magnitude but opposite signs are fixed a distance 5.00 m apart in a vacuum The line PQ is a 12.0 cm section of the line joining the two charges and is placed centrally between them. Over the distance PQ the electric field may be taken to be uniform. An electron is released, with negligible initial speed, from point P at time t = 0. At t = 1.00 × 10−2 s the electron is observed to pass point Q. Determine the magnitude and sign of both Q1 and Q2
Since the charges are opposite, the +ve carge Q1(lets say) will be towards Q and the negative charge will be towards P. Now calculate the total force acting on the electron , repulsion due to Q2 and attraction due to Q1. Thus you'll get the acceleration of the electron. This will help solve for the unknowns

Register to reply