How to find distance between 2 charges, with no force given?

In summary, the problem involves three charges set along the x-axis, with q1 at the origin and q2 at a distance of 11.3 mi. The values of the charges are given as q1 = +2.0C, q2 = +1.5C, and q3 = -2.3C. The question is asking for the position of q3, denoted as r3 = di, where the net force on it is zero. Using Coulomb's Law, the equation for force F = k(q1*q2)/r^2 can be written and ΣF = 0 can be set up for the system. This leads to solving for the unknown coordinate, r3
Blooper

Homework Statement

Three charges q1 q2 and q3 are set along the x-axis. q1 is at the origin and q2 is at r = 11.3mi

If q1 = +2.0C, q2 = +1.5C, and q3 = -2.3C, where must q3 be placed so that the net force on it is zero? In other words, the position of q3 is r3 = di, and you must find d. Answer in meters.

Homework Equations

F = k(q1*q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe if I was given the force between the two, this question would be easy, but since no force is given, I'm not sure how to rearrange Coulomb's Law to isolate r (distance).

Physics news on Phys.org
Blooper said:
I believe if I was given the force between the two, this question would be easy,
The actual values of the forces are irrelevant. All that matters is that they balance.
However, you do have enough information to find the forces in terms of the unknown coordinate.
Write out the expressions for the two forces.

Blooper said:

Homework Statement

Three charges q1 q2 and q3 are set along the x-axis. q1 is at the origin and q2 is at r = 11.3mi

If q1 = +2.0C, q2 = +1.5C, and q3 = -2.3C, where must q3 be placed so that the net force on it is zero? In other words, the position of q3 is r3 = di, and you must find d. Answer in meters.

Homework Equations

F = k(q1*q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe if I was given the force between the two, this question would be easy, but since no force is given, I'm not sure how to rearrange Coulomb's Law to isolate r (distance).

Start by writing ΣF = 0 for the system, from there, solve for the uknown r

What is the formula for finding the distance between two charges with no force given?

The formula for finding the distance between two charges with no force given is d = √(k * q1 * q2 / F), where d is the distance, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and F is the force between the two charges.

How do I determine the direction of the distance between two charges with no force given?

The direction of the distance between two charges with no force given can be determined by drawing a line connecting the two charges and measuring the angle between that line and the horizontal axis. The direction will be either towards or away from the other charge depending on the sign of the charges.

What are the units for the distance between two charges with no force given?

The units for the distance between two charges with no force given are meters (m).

Can I use the same formula to find the distance between two charges with different units?

No, the formula for finding the distance between two charges with no force given only works if all the quantities (charges and force) are in the same unit, typically Coulombs (C) for charge and Newtons (N) for force. If the units are different, you will need to convert them to the appropriate unit before using the formula.

Is this formula accurate for all types of charges and distances?

Yes, this formula is accurate for all types of charges and distances, as long as the two charges are point charges (charges with no size) and the distance between them is large compared to their sizes. If the charges have sizes or the distance between them is small, more complex formulas may need to be used.