Fact or fiction: frequent masturbation causes lethargy?

• Thread starter pakmingki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fiction
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of masturbation and its potential effects on lethargy. The individual has been experiencing constant lethargy since high school and has recently wondered if frequent masturbation could be the cause. However, there are no harmful side effects of masturbation and it is recommended to consult a doctor for concerns about feeling lethargic. The conversation also mentions the possibility of excessive masturbation being a coping mechanism for boredom or loneliness. Ultimately, the individual should focus on organizing their life in other ways to potentially decrease their need for this self-healing technique.
pakmingki
over like, i don't know, since the 9th grade (4 years ago), I've been combatting constant lethargy. I eventually got used to it though.

I recently heard from a friend that frequent masturbation causes lethargy. Now, this sounded like a myth, but now I am thinking maybe it's true.

In middle school, i woud only masturbate a few times a week. Since high school, it's been around 6-7 times a day.

Is this why I've suddenly become more lethargic throughout high school?

Biology news on Phys.org
There are no harmful side effects of masturbation, no matter how often you do it.
You should see your Doctor about concerns of feeling lethargic.

hypatia said:
There are no harmful side effects of masturbation, no matter how often you do it.
what about carpal tunnel syndrome? :biggrin:

pakmingki said:
In middle school, i woud only masturbate a few times a week. Since high school, it's been around 6-7 times a day.

I doubt this could be hazardous to your physical health in itself, but 7 times a day does seem a bit excessive. Do you do it so often when you're bored (hey, it's a great time-killer)? or do you actually feel like you physically need to do it so many times a day? if your sex-drive is that high, that would be something to tell your doctor too, just in case.

Last edited:
Your somewhat high masturbation rate is more likely a type of "self-healing" in that it makes you feel good in a normally rather dreary state. That is, it is more likely to be a reaction to a perceived letharg (and loneliness?) than the causative factor of it.
Short answer: You're not sick on that account, but perhaps you should make an effort to organize your life in other ways. If that works out, it might be that the need of your body's self-healing technique diminishes. Or perhaps not.

1. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claim that frequent masturbation causes lethargy?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that frequent masturbation causes lethargy. This belief is often based on personal anecdotes or cultural norms rather than scientific research.

2. What are the potential physical and mental effects of frequent masturbation?

Frequent masturbation may have some temporary physical effects such as fatigue and soreness. However, there is no evidence to suggest that it causes long-term physical or mental health problems. In fact, some studies have shown that masturbation can have positive effects on mental health, such as reducing stress and improving mood.

3. Can frequent masturbation lead to addiction?

Masturbation is a normal and healthy part of human sexuality and does not typically lead to addiction. However, some individuals may develop compulsive or excessive masturbation habits, which could be a sign of underlying psychological issues that should be addressed with a professional.

4. Does the frequency of masturbation affect sexual performance?

There is no evidence to suggest that frequent masturbation has any negative impact on sexual performance. In fact, some studies have shown that regular masturbation can improve sexual function and satisfaction.

5. Is there a recommended frequency for masturbation?

There is no specific recommended frequency for masturbation, as it varies from person to person. It is important to listen to your own body and only engage in masturbation when it feels comfortable and pleasurable for you. If it starts to interfere with daily activities or relationships, it may be a good idea to reassess the frequency and seek professional help if needed.