Mathematical methods for physics textbooks?

In summary, the conversation discusses a search for a mathematical textbook for physics students. The individual is interested in "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas and is seeking advice on the book. They mention their previous studies in multi-variable calculus and linear algebra, as well as picking up knowledge in vector analysis from other sources. Another person suggests the book "Riley, Hobson, and Bence" as a good recommendation. Overall, Boas is considered a good choice and the individual's previous knowledge will be helpful.
jackiefrost
I was looking for a decent, broad-ranged mathematical textbook oriented towards physics students. I'm interested in "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas (over Arfken's book) and was wondering if any of you have any advice.

[BTW - I only have seriously studied through multi-variable calculus and linear algebra though I've picked up a great deal of vector analysis through Murray Spiegel's Shaums study and "Div, Grad, Curl, and all that"].

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I'm no expert but I've heard people speak highly of Riley, Hobson and Bence. It's recommended for the Cambridge NatScis so it can't be all that bad :)

Boas is a good choice. It's also good that you're familiar with mv-calc. and vector analysis, since the minimum requirements is just single-variable calc.

1. What are the key concepts covered in mathematical methods for physics textbooks?

Mathematical methods for physics textbooks typically cover topics such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, and vector calculus. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in physics.

2. How is mathematical methods for physics different from general mathematics?

Mathematical methods for physics textbooks focus on teaching mathematical concepts and techniques specifically relevant to solving problems in physics, such as using vector calculus to analyze motion or using complex analysis to understand wave phenomena. General mathematics, on the other hand, covers a broader range of mathematical concepts and applications.

3. Are there any recommended prerequisites for studying mathematical methods for physics?

Most textbooks on mathematical methods for physics assume a strong foundation in calculus, including single and multivariable calculus, as well as basic knowledge of linear algebra. Some may also require knowledge of differential equations and vector calculus.

4. Are there any specific strategies for mastering mathematical methods for physics?

Some strategies for mastering mathematical methods for physics include practicing problems regularly, seeking out additional resources for practice and clarification, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. It is also helpful to understand the physical concepts behind the mathematical techniques and how they are applied in real-world scenarios.

5. How can I apply mathematical methods for physics in my own research or work?

Mathematical methods for physics are essential tools for solving problems and analyzing data in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and materials science. By understanding and applying these methods, you can better understand and explain physical phenomena and make predictions about future observations or experiments.