Register to reply

Uniform Circular Motion: Centripital Acceleration vs. Acceleration

Share this thread:
Chele
Jun16-07, 05:39 AM
P: 17
I am very new to physics and am taking a my first University Physics class. This is not a call for a problem to be solved, but a clarification on terminology.

In solving problems for uniform circular motion, some problems call for the acceleration of the object (a=v^2/r) and others the centripital or instantanious acceleration (a=4pi^2r/T^2).

Can you please attempt to explain, in layman's terms, the difference between the two references to acceleration?

Thanks for your assistance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Doc Al
Jun16-07, 05:49 AM
Mentor
P: 41,304
Quote Quote by Chele View Post
In solving problems for uniform circular motion, some problems call for the acceleration of the object (a=v^2/r) and others the centripital or instantanious acceleration (a=4pi^2r/T^2).
The two formulas are equivalent. (Express the speed in terms of circumference over period and you'll see for yourself.)

For uniform circular motion, the acceleration is centripetal. (Centripetal just means "towards the center".)
Chele
Jun16-07, 09:58 PM
Wow- I'll need to look at that in further detail....
Thanks for your help!

nrqed
Jun16-07, 10:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,887
Uniform Circular Motion: Centripital Acceleration vs. Acceleration

Quote Quote by Chele View Post
Wow- I'll need to look at that in further detail....
Thanks for your help!
Indeed, the two are equivalent for UCM. This can be seen easily if you recall that for constant speed, you may use v= distance/time. If you wait for the particle to go through a full circle, it will have covered a distance 2 Pi r, and the time elapsed will be the period T.
So

[itex] v_{ucm} = \frac{2 \pi r}{T} [/itex]

Using this formula it is simple to prove that the two equations for acceleration you gave are equal.
Chele
Jun17-07, 01:56 AM
Okay, thanks. I worked it out and it is exactly the same. Not sure why I didn't see it before. Thanks guys!

Register to reply