A Car on a Banked Curve Moving in Uniform Circular Motion

In summary: Cartesian axes simultaneously. For example, the x-component of the normal force, Fnx is shown horizontal whilst the x-component of the weight, Fwx is shown along the incline. Which is it?The x-component of the normal force is horizontal, while the x-component of the weight is along the incline. I probably should have chosen a different axis for the x-component of the weight. I chose it along the incline because I thought it would be easier to find its components in that direction.In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the necessary forces to make a car move in a circular motion on a banked ramp. The normal force, horizontal component of the normal force, and cent
RoboRaptor
Homework Statement
A 1050-kg car rounds a curve of radius 72m banked at an angle of 14°. If the car is traveling at 85 km/h, will a friction force be required? If so, how much and in what direction?
Relevant Equations
Centripetal Force = (m*v^2)/R
Normal Force = Cos(x) * mg
Sin(x) = opp/hyp
Cos(x) = adj/hyp
g = 9.8m/s^2
First I figured out the normal force being exerted on the car using the equation above.
Cos(40°)*(1050*9.8) = 7883N
Next, I tried to find out the horizontal component of the normal force by doing:
Cos(50) * 7883 = 5067N
I figured out the angle by using certain geometrical properties.
1614725197638.png

Next, I found the Centripetal Force using its corresponding equation:
F = 1050 * (23.6^2/72) = 8122 N
(I found 23.6 by dividing 85000 by 3600)
I figured out that the horizontal component of the Normal Force is not enough to give the object its circular motion so I found the difference between it and the Centripetal Force which gave me around 3055 more N needed to make the car go in a uniform circular motion.
Here is where I'm unsure of what to do. Will the frictional force of the car point directly to the center of the circular motion or will it point down towards the direction of the ramp?
Here are some pictures to better illustrate my doubts:
1614726189335.png

OR
1614726279980.png

Thanks in advance for the help!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello R2,
:welcome: !​
RoboRaptor said:
... curve of radius 72m banked at an angle of 14°

Cos(40°)
Why 40° ? Do you know how steep that is !
RoboRaptor said:
I figured out the angle by using certain geometrical properties.
That doesn't help us help you. Post what you did !

RoboRaptor said:
F = 1050 * (23.6^2/72) = 8122 N
(I found 23.6 by dividing 85000 by 3600)
Do not round off to three digits and then write down four digits. F is 8130 N.
Best is to work with synbols to the very end and only then round off sensibly after the calculation.

RoboRaptor said:
Will the frictional force of the car point directly to the center of the circular motion or will it point down towards the direction of the ramp?
Which way is it when the car stands still on the ramp ?

Likes RoboRaptor
Hey BvU!
BvU said:
Why 40° ? Do you know how steep that is !
I just realized how I wrote 40° instead of 14°, that was just a silly mistake on my part 🤦‍♂️. However, this changes the other 50° angle to 76°.

BvU said:
That doesn't help us help you. Post what you did !
Here's a more detailed image of my work. It's a bit messy but I hope you can understand it.
1614736854040.png
BvU said:
Which way is it when the car stands still on the ramp ?
Not sure I understand the question. Basically, I want to know in which way the frictional force is going to be directed while the car is on the ramp moving in a uniform circular motion, if I'm not wrong the object is static if looked at from reference to the circle.
and thanks for the reply!

RoboRaptor said:
First I figured out the normal force being exerted on the car using the equation above.
Cos(40°)*(1050*9.8) = 7883N
That is the component of the gravitational force in the direction normal to the road. It is not necessarily the same as the normal force from the road.

Your diagram sure is messy. Just show the car and the forces on it. What are they, and in what directions do they act?
Their resultant produces the acceleration. What are the magnitude and direction of that?
What two equations does that allow you to write?

Likes RoboRaptor
haruspex said:
That is the component of the gravitational force in the direction normal to the road. It is not necessarily the same as the normal force from the road.
I assumed that was the case because I thought Normal Force had the same magnitude as the force that is being applied perpendicular to the road, in this case, the y-component of the weight.
Our teacher taught us a way to do free-body diagrams on inclined ramps which I'm not sure if it's the norm for this type of problems, here it is:
1614775778760.png

RoboRaptor said:
I assumed that was the case because I thought Normal Force had the same magnitude as the force that is being applied perpendicular to the road, in this case, the y-component of the weight.
That is only true if there is no acceleration component in that direction. You will find through this problem that there is such.
RoboRaptor said:
You can't just invent a mysterious force exerted by the car. There may be a frictional force in that position and orientation, so let’s agree it is that, but, again, you cannot just assume it is equal to another force. You have to justify such an equality by means of Newton's law ΣF=ma.
The diagram is good; it shows all the applied forces.
What is the resultant force, given the motion of the car?
What equations can you write for the forces?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
The diagram is good; it shows all the applied forces.
The diagram may show all the forces, nevertheless it is confusing for it uses two separate Cartesian axes simultaneously. For example, the x-component of the normal force, Fnx is shown horizontal whilst the x-component of the weight, Fwx is shown along the incline. Which is it?

kuruman said:
The diagram may show all the forces, nevertheless it is confusing for it uses two separate Cartesian axes simultaneously. For example, the x-component of the normal force, Fnx is shown horizontal whilst the x-component of the weight, Fwx is shown along the incline. Which is it?
Yes, good catch. I hadn't paid attention to Fwx and Fwy.

1. What is a car on a banked curve moving in uniform circular motion?

A car on a banked curve moving in uniform circular motion refers to a car that is traveling at a constant speed in a circular path on a banked surface. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a constant radius of curvature.

2. What factors affect a car's ability to maintain uniform circular motion on a banked curve?

The factors that affect a car's ability to maintain uniform circular motion on a banked curve include the speed of the car, the angle of the banked curve, and the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the road surface.

3. How does the angle of the banked curve affect a car's motion?

The angle of the banked curve affects a car's motion by providing a centripetal force that helps to keep the car moving in a circular path. A steeper banked curve will provide a greater centripetal force, allowing the car to maintain a higher speed around the curve.

4. What happens if the car's speed is too slow or too fast on a banked curve?

If the car's speed is too slow, it may not have enough centripetal force to maintain a circular path and may slide off the banked curve. If the car's speed is too fast, it may have too much centripetal force and may experience a "banking up" effect, causing it to move towards the outer edge of the curve.

5. How does friction play a role in a car's motion on a banked curve?

Friction between the car's tires and the road surface is necessary to provide the centripetal force needed for uniform circular motion on a banked curve. If there is not enough friction, the car may slide off the curve. However, too much friction can also cause problems, such as the "banking up" effect mentioned earlier.