Register to reply

Why candle reduces cigarette smoke odor?

by pixel01
Tags: candle, cigarette, odor, reduces, smoke
Share this thread:
pixel01
Jun24-07, 04:48 AM
P: 691
Hi everybody,

I know some of my friends use candles when they smoke in a room saying that it can get rid of the cigarette odor. Can you explain it by physics (or chemistry).
I really do not know if this topic is suitable in here.
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
HallsofIvy
Jun24-07, 07:36 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,564
It's not physics or chemistry- it's anatomy. Your nose has a certain number of odor receptors that can be "overworked". If you light a candle with a pleasant smell, it can prevent your nose from detecting the smoke smell.
pixel01
Jun24-07, 07:59 AM
P: 691
Oh, it sounds cool. Thank you.
But I am still confused. Sometimes they even use plain candles which have almost no smell (except whey you blow it off). Or it is because of the psychology reason in this case?

rewebster
Jun24-07, 08:40 AM
P: 880
Why candle reduces cigarette smoke odor?

It also 'diffuses' the smoke in the room ---disrupts the 'layering' effect which annoys* some people ---

---(*yes, that's from experience-- ex-girl friend)

-----------------------------------

Quote Quote by pixel01 View Post
Oh, it sounds cool. Thank you.
But I am still confused. Sometimes they even use plain candles which have almost no smell (except whey you blow it off). Or it is because of the psychology reason in this case?
psychology reason?---changes the mood/atmosphere of the room, even without someone smoking---to quote the ex-girlfriend, again, -> romantic
tangible
May24-10, 06:39 AM
P: 1
yeah i was also told by my friend to light a candle in a smoking room to avoid smoke odor. What is the reason behind this? Really confusing.
pallidin
May24-10, 01:40 PM
P: 2,292
"All candles listed are specially formulated with enzymes that attack and remove smoke odor"

Trade source: http://www.smokercandles.com/
Ali Inam
May24-10, 01:52 PM
P: 99
You mean all sorts of candles ? !

Common use candles, birthday candles !!

??
pallidin
May24-10, 02:01 PM
P: 2,292
Quote Quote by Ali Inam View Post
You mean all sorts of candles ? !

Common use candles, birthday candles !!

??
No, just those which have a special enzyme plug embedded in the candle close to the wick.
I have one here now.
BTW, they are expensive.

Some of those special candles have the enzymes throughout the candle(no plug)
StorminMatt
Jan19-11, 05:29 AM
P: 6
Candles help to reduce tobacco odor in yet another way. Specifically, the high temperature of the flame promotes the oxidation of odor causing compounds (such as cigarette tar) to odorless carbon dioxide and water. In other words, by acting as a 'thermal reactor', a candle flame basically 'burns away' the smelly compounds in cigarette smoke (as well as other foul smelling compounds in the air). For this reason, candles are probably most effective when actually burned while smoking. This way, some of the smoke itself can actually be eliminated before the tar gets a chance to stick to walls, ceilings, and furniture.

On the other hand, NOTHING eliminates tobacco odors like NOT smoking indoors!!
barry88
May21-12, 10:38 AM
P: 1
There are a number of different sections of olfactory sensors in your nose, similar to the taste buds on your tongue. These sensors pick up different types of odors like sweet, dry, tart, spicy, etc. The particles from the cigarette smoke interact with a variety of these sensors causing your brain to recognize the scent. The fragrance from candles counter balance the negative smell of the cigarette smoke, neutralizing it. Then adds positive, pleasant aromas which causes your brain to tell you that you are smelling something which is good.
QuantumPion
May21-12, 12:45 PM
P: 778
Quote Quote by StorminMatt View Post
Candles help to reduce tobacco odor in yet another way. Specifically, the high temperature of the flame promotes the oxidation of odor causing compounds (such as cigarette tar) to odorless carbon dioxide and water. In other words, by acting as a 'thermal reactor', a candle flame basically 'burns away' the smelly compounds in cigarette smoke (as well as other foul smelling compounds in the air). For this reason, candles are probably most effective when actually burned while smoking. This way, some of the smoke itself can actually be eliminated before the tar gets a chance to stick to walls, ceilings, and furniture.

On the other hand, NOTHING eliminates tobacco odors like NOT smoking indoors!!
Intuitively that explanation seems unlikely to me. What is the oxidation rate of a candle compared to the volume of air in a room?
jtbell
May21-12, 12:49 PM
Mentor
P: 11,782
Wow, the third revival of this thread in five years!
davenn
May22-12, 07:06 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,651
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
Wow, the third revival of this thread in five years!
hahaha is it a record for a thread on PF ?

Dave

Register to reply