Superstringtheory.com reopened ? No.

• Thread starter pelastration
  • Start date
In summary, the forums for Patricia Schwartz's website, The Official String Theory Web Site, have closed. However, this is only temporary, and the forums will reopen April 3, 2005.
pelastration
Some of us used to post on 'The Official String Theory Web Site' of Patricia Schwartz. That was fun. But page by page the site went off the Net. Then it was closed.

http://www.superstringtheory.com/forum/forums_i.html

That webpage states:

"Forum closed until April 2
We're moving to a new server and building a new forum. The forum will be shut down until then. It will be much better when it reopens -- I PROMISE!"

It appears Patricia forgot to put the year of reopening: April 3, 2005? April 3, 2009? ...
:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was taking one of their courses, and the moderator said he would email us when the new server came up. No email yet.

selfAdjoint said:
I was taking one of their courses, and the moderator said he would email us when the new server came up. No email yet.
Thanks selfAdjoint, for that info. That saves us the time to go and check and find nothing changed.

dirk

Goody, the forums will open soon so Kx21 can spam the hell out of them.

Ah! Memories linger of master posters from superstringtheory.com forums. My three favorites were:

Dr. Syed Ameen (homepage) --->
http://ameen-syed.tripod.com/DR_SYED_AMEEN/id1.html

William Taggart (Time Density Mass - Zeno, TDM in paranoia sauce - Thurlby Computers site seems to be gone) --->
http://www.crownedanarchist.com/timedensitymass.htm

kx21 (homepage - you don't need other people to make a discussion) --->
http://www.kx21.com/

I suspect Pat Schwartz's forums didn't turn out to be the high-level thing she desired. But she worked hard to make an amazing educational resource out of the surrounding tutorials.

Quart

You know, all it would take is a good moderator or two. A board specifically for all garbage posts to be placed (that is called the theory development forum at PF) would go a long way.

That, and some new Form Software. I hate that old early 90's style where the posts are listed with indentations denoting replies.

quartodeciman said:
Indeed. Remember Dr. Syed Ameen holding conversations with this alter-ego? LOL. For both ID's he used to start the same remarkable way: with the full date on top. :biggrin:

quartodeciman said:
I suspect Pat Schwartz's forums didn't turn out to be the high-level thing she desired. But she worked hard to make an amazing educational resource out of the surrounding tutorials.

Quart

I think most people who ventured there would know of her just rewards:http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/patricia/tphys.html

The site was just not a sound-off forum?

I think the old WWW board is still much better for getting search engine traffic to the site. A lot of search engines won't even index pages with some of the new software, though the majors do.

The old index trees were very good when topics bushed out into various subdisputes. You could post replies at exactly the right sublevels. But all that required continuous maintenance and soon got out of control. Superstringtheory forums did have moderators assigned at one point several years ago, but they were nameless and never seemed to do anything. As far as I could tell, the moderators were not participants in the discussions. Spam became like dark matter and energy, dominant over the normal discussion postings. There were just too many cowpiles to avoid in that field. {SNIFF!} It was my first online discussion group ever.

From her welcome messages in 1999, I surmise that PS hoped that physics/astronomy undergrads, graduates and postdocs might meet on the forums. That didn't really happen much.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think Dr. Schwartz should outsource her discussion needs to PF :smile:

We don't want to monopolize, do we? This might lead to segregation, between the very rich, and the every poor?:)

Freedom of choice and one soon realizes what can be partition to the garbage and what won't.

Medium of expression have to be available to all peoples, or you end up with censored information? The watch dogs, are always waiting in the wings to correct. Do you trust their abilites? I do:)

Some have the pure devotion of education, and their hearts shine through. Others are just not to patient.:)

I have just broken my rule about staying in Kaku's forum. Is there a probelm with this?

Last edited:
ranyart said:
I think most people who ventured there would know of her just rewards:http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/patricia/tphys.html

The site was just not a sound-off forum?

I agree Ranyart.

This has become a valuable teaching tool...for the ole folk.. who had missed the opportunties in life and now have been given a second chance.

What is superstringtheory.com?

Superstringtheory.com is a website that focuses on the scientific theory of superstring theory, which aims to explain fundamental forces and particles in the universe by proposing that they are made up of tiny vibrating strings.

Why was superstringtheory.com reopened?

Superstringtheory.com was reopened to provide updates and new information on the progress and developments in the field of superstring theory. It also serves as a platform for scientists and researchers to share their findings and theories.

Who runs superstringtheory.com?

Superstringtheory.com is run by a team of scientists and researchers who are experts in the field of superstring theory. They are dedicated to providing accurate and up-to-date information on the topic.

What can I find on superstringtheory.com?

On superstringtheory.com, you can find articles, research papers, and news related to superstring theory. There are also forums and discussion boards where you can engage with other scientists and ask questions about the theory.

Is superstringtheory.com a reliable source of information?

Yes, superstringtheory.com is a reliable source of information as it is run by experts in the field and the content is regularly updated and reviewed. However, as with any scientific theory, it is important to approach the information critically and consider multiple sources.