Register to reply

Continued fractions

by Klaus_Hoffmann
Tags: continued, fractions
Share this thread:
Klaus_Hoffmann
Jul21-07, 03:25 PM
P: 83
Hi, my question is given the recurrence relation for the convergents, could we construct a continued fraction so..

[tex] \alpha = a_{0}+ \frac{b_{0}}{a_{1}+\frac{b_{1}}{a_{2}}+.... [/tex]

all the coefficients a's and b's are equal to a certain integer ?

for example if all the coefficients (numerators and denomiators)

* are one we have just the Fibonacci (Golden ratio) constant [tex] \frac{2}{\sqrt 5 -1} [/tex]

* are two we have exactly [tex] \sqrt 2 +1 [/tex]

i the sense that expanding the 2 numbers above their continued fraction is made only by 1 or 2, but can we construct a general continued fraction with all the numbers equal to 3,4,5,6,......
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
ramsey2879
Jul26-07, 11:26 AM
P: 894
Quote Quote by Klaus_Hoffmann View Post
Hi, my question is given the recurrence relation for the convergents, could we construct a continued fraction so..

[tex] \alpha = a_{0}+ \frac{b_{0}}{a_{1}+\frac{b_{1}}{a_{2}}+.... [/tex]

all the coefficients a's and b's are equal to a certain integer ?

for example if all the coefficients (numerators and denomiators)

* are one we have just the Fibonacci (Golden ratio) constant [tex] \frac{2}{\sqrt 5 -1} [/tex]

* are two we have exactly [tex] \sqrt 2 +1 [/tex]

i the sense that expanding the 2 numbers above their continued fraction is made only by 1 or 2, but can we construct a general continued fraction with all the numbers equal to 3,4,5,6,......
Something doesn't seem right. If making all the a's and b's 1 gives the Fibonacci (golden ratio) constant, wouldn't making all the a's and b's 2 simply be 2 times the Golden ration rather than [tex] \sqrt 2 + 1 [/tex].

Postscript. On the other hand: It seemed to me that any similar manner of construction a continued fraction will give an irrational number of some fixed value which would be a multiple of the continued fraction comprising only ones, but then n/n = 1 so I guess I made a mistake. Anyway at least the numbers are completely predefined.

Register to reply