Coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials

In summary: This appears to be a correct representation of ##T_{n}\left( x\right)##, checked by explicit calculation of the factors for various values of ##n##.
gty656
Not long ago, I derived the formula for Chebyshev polynomials

$$T_{n}\left( x\right)= \sum_{k=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor}{n \choose 2k}x^{n-2k}\left( x^2-1\right)^{k}$$
How to extract the coefficients of this polynomial of degree n ?

I tried using Newton's binomial but got a double sum
$$\sum_{k=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor}{n \choose 2k}x^{n-2k}\left( \sum_{m=0}^{k} {k \choose m} x^{2m}\left( -1\right)^{k-m} \right) \\
\sum_{k=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor}\sum_{m=0}^{k}\left( -1\right)^{k-m} {n \choose 2k} \cdot {k \choose m} x^{n+2m-2k}\\
$$

Now how to continue counting this sum ?
What would it look like to change the order of summation and would it do anything ?What else did I try ?

Well, I worked out the sum
$$\sum_{k=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor}{n \choose 2k}x^{n-2k}\left( x^2-1\right)^{k} $$

for n=8
and I hypothesized that
$$T_{n}\left( x\right)= \sum_{k=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor} \sum_{m=k}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor}\left( -1\right)^{k}{n \choose 2m} \cdot {m \choose k} x^{n-2k} $$
However, it would be useful to demonstrate the correctness of this hypothesis and count the sum of
$$\sum_{m=k}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor}{n \choose 2m} \cdot {m \choose k}$$
Here I would like to point out that Wolfram Alpha counts this sum incorrectly
$$\sum_{m=k}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2}\rfloor}{{n \choose 2m} \cdot {m \choose k}} = \frac{n}{2n-2k} \cdot 2^{n-2k} \cdot {n - k \choose k}$$

And it would even be a nice result but
first of all it is not quite correct ( Have you noticed why ?)
and secondly it comes from a hypothesis I made after dissecting the formula for $n=8$.

It seems to me that this hypothesis of mine would be enough to prove by induction after n but how would it look?​

Physics news on Phys.org
gty656 said:
$$T_{n}\left( x\right)= \sum_{k=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor} \sum_{m=k}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor}\left( -1\right)^{k}{n \choose 2m} \cdot {m \choose k} x^{n-2k} $$
This appears to be a correct representation of ##T_{n}\left( x\right)##, checked by explicit calculation of the factors for various values of ##n##.

gty656 said:
However, it would be useful to demonstrate the correctness of this hypothesis and count the sum of
$$\sum_{m=k}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor}{n \choose 2m} \cdot {m \choose k}$$
Here I would like to point out that Wolfram Alpha counts this sum incorrectly
$$\sum_{m=k}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2}\rfloor}{{n \choose 2m} \cdot {m \choose k}} = \frac{n}{2n-2k} \cdot 2^{n-2k} \cdot {n - k \choose k}$$
Mathematica gives a complicated answer in terms of the gamma and hypergeometric functions, so there doesn't appear to be a simple closed formula.

Likes gty656
I checked for myself in Wolfram some initial values for n
and it was ok however I would like to see a full proof with induction being enough for me
(When proving the induction step, you will probably need to refer to the definition of recursion
except that here we have second-order linear recursion)As for this sum, in my case Wolfram calculated it as follows

## \sum_{m=k}^{\lfloor\frac{n}{2}\rfloor}{n \choose 2m} \cdot {m \choose k} = \frac{n}{2n-2k} \cdot {n - k \choose k} \cdot 2^{n-2k}##

However, I noticed that the problem would be, for example, n=0.
I thought it was possible to find a similar formula to the above however also correct for n=0.

I would also like to add that there is a slight error in my post namely in the second line it should look like this in sequence:
I tried using Newton's binomial but got a double sum
##\sum_{k=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor}{n \choose 2k}x^{n-2k}\left( \sum_{m=0}^{k} {k \choose m} x^{2m}\left( -1\right)^{k-m} \right) \\##​

##\sum_{k=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor}\sum_{m=0}^{k}\left( -1\right)^{k-m} {n \choose 2k} \cdot {k \choose m} x^{n+2m-2k}\\
##​

1. What are coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials?

Coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials are the numerical values that are multiplied by the variable in each term of the polynomial. They are used to represent the polynomial function in a concise and efficient way.

2. How are coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials calculated?

The coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials can be calculated using the recurrence relation or the explicit formula, depending on the specific polynomial. The recurrence relation involves using the previous coefficients to calculate the next one, while the explicit formula uses a mathematical formula to directly calculate the coefficients.

3. What is the significance of coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials?

Coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials play a crucial role in various mathematical applications, such as approximation, interpolation, and solving differential equations. They also have connections to other mathematical concepts, such as orthogonal polynomials and trigonometric functions.

4. Can coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials be negative?

Yes, coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials can be negative. In fact, for odd-degree polynomials, there will always be at least one negative coefficient. This is due to the alternating pattern of positive and negative coefficients in Chebyshev polynomials.

5. How do coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials relate to the roots of the polynomial?

The coefficients of Chebyshev polynomials are closely related to the roots of the polynomial. In particular, the roots of a Chebyshev polynomial can be found by setting the polynomial equal to zero and solving for the variable. The number of unique roots is equal to the degree of the polynomial, and the roots are evenly spaced on the interval [-1,1].