Electromagnetic levitation

by shireojan
Tags: electromagnetic, levitation
Share this thread:
shireojan
Aug23-07, 05:01 AM
P: 3
hi,
i wanna start some "researches" about electromagnetic levitation,and well i came here to ask if anyone could help me....anything...books,links....
thnk u
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
mgb_phys
Aug23-07, 09:29 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,954
You might have to give us a few more clues, 11year old's school science project, final year engineering project, PhD, industrial company? Your level of knowldege, your budget, timescale?
But start here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation
shireojan
Aug23-07, 10:04 AM
P: 3
yea ur right sorry,well its more of a final year engineering project,except its my first year at uni and i study physic...bout the timescal...unlimited...budget...unlimited too

thnx

mgb_phys
Aug23-07, 10:15 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,954
Electromagnetic levitation

Our engineering dept always had a cool demo of a bar made of (I think) alternate rings of steel and copper hanging inside some coils, then made to shoot forward through a block of wood. You just need to vary the field strenght/direction in the coils in the right order. You can do something similair to float a metal plate on coils and move it backward and forward.

I think it's called a Gauss gun - I might have a go at building this unpowered version http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/gauss.html
GDogg
Aug23-07, 04:39 PM
P: 43
Quote Quote by shireojan View Post
hi,
i wanna start some "researches" about electromagnetic levitation,and well i came here to ask if anyone could help me....anything...books,links....
thnk u
See this thread

Register to reply