Electromagnetic levitation

by shireojan
Tags: electromagnetic, levitation
Share this thread:
shireojan
Aug23-07, 05:01 AM
P: 3
hi,
i wanna start some "researches" about electromagnetic levitation,and well i came here to ask if anyone could help me....anything...books,links....
thnk u
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
mgb_phys
Aug23-07, 09:29 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,955
You might have to give us a few more clues, 11year old's school science project, final year engineering project, PhD, industrial company? Your level of knowldege, your budget, timescale?
But start here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation
shireojan
Aug23-07, 10:04 AM
P: 3
yea ur right sorry,well its more of a final year engineering project,except its my first year at uni and i study physic...bout the timescal...unlimited...budget...unlimited too

thnx

mgb_phys
Aug23-07, 10:15 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,955
Electromagnetic levitation

Our engineering dept always had a cool demo of a bar made of (I think) alternate rings of steel and copper hanging inside some coils, then made to shoot forward through a block of wood. You just need to vary the field strenght/direction in the coils in the right order. You can do something similair to float a metal plate on coils and move it backward and forward.

I think it's called a Gauss gun - I might have a go at building this unpowered version http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/gauss.html
GDogg
Aug23-07, 04:39 PM
P: 43
Quote Quote by shireojan View Post
hi,
i wanna start some "researches" about electromagnetic levitation,and well i came here to ask if anyone could help me....anything...books,links....
thnk u
See this thread

Register to reply