Magnetic levitation - superconductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic levitation above a superconductor and the potential weight that can be supported by this method. The individual is interested in using this idea for a different purpose, but wants to ensure that it is feasible. They inquire about the levitation capabilities of a permanent magnet above a superconductor and if it could hold a weight of 1000m (with m being the mass of the magnet). They are not looking for a detailed solution at this point, just a rough estimate or a link to an article. The ultimate goal is to lift an object a few millimeters using stable levitation.
skrat
The question I have is rather simple and straightforward so here it is: How much weight can a magnet support and still levitate above a superconductor?

We all know about super fast levitating trains and I want to use the same idea for something else. However before looking deeper into magnetic levitation and starting a research I would like to make sure it is actually even possible.

So putting a permanent magnet above a superconductor:
- does it barely levitate or
- could it hold ##1000m## and still levitate if ##m## is the mass of the magnet?

I am not looking for an analytic solution. Just a rough guess or a link to some article would be good enough at the moment! Basically the whole idea is that I want to lift (for a couple of mm would suffice) an object using a levitation. The levitation has to be stable.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:
- could it hold ##1000m## and still levitate if ##m## is the mass of the magnet?
That's not unrealistic.

This paper could have numbers.

1. What is magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation is a phenomenon where an object is suspended in the air by magnetic forces. This is achieved by using superconductors, materials that have zero electrical resistance at very low temperatures, and powerful magnets.

2. How do superconductors work in magnetic levitation?

Superconductors have the ability to expel magnetic fields from their interiors, known as the Meissner effect. When placed in a strong magnetic field, they create a repulsive force that can lift and suspend objects above them.

3. What are the advantages of using magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation has several advantages, including low energy consumption, high stability and precision, and minimal wear and tear. It also eliminates the need for physical contact, reducing friction and allowing for faster speeds.

4. What are some real-world applications of magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation has been used in transportation systems, such as Maglev trains, which can travel at high speeds without touching the ground. It is also used in magnetic bearings for rotating machinery, such as turbines and motors, to reduce friction and increase efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to magnetic levitation using superconductors?

One limitation is the need for extremely low temperatures to maintain superconductivity, which can be costly and challenging to achieve. Another limitation is the size and weight of the superconducting materials, which can make it difficult to implement in certain applications.